News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Danielsson Original 2WB

Started by 13Fisher1, February 26, 2013, 07:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

13Fisher1

Thinking of buying a Danielsson Original 2W reel, does anyone have any experience of this reel?
I dd see a post about smaller trout version which was v positive.
Looks great, had a fishing friend in US ( yes just one) who used these and swore by them for quality and lightness.

Original 2W Fly Reel
by Danielsson
This fly reel is a great choice for heavier one-handed and lighter double-handed fishing. It is suited to fish such as salmon, sea trout and big rainbows among others.

Part of the Original range, Danielsson reels set a high standard when they were introduced, resulting in them being a highly copied design around the world. The superior design offers trouble-free handling and, in our opinion, is much better than anything previously on the market.

The model is still unrivalled with respect to low spool weight and the capacity to set a low start resistance without overrun.

The frame and spool of the 2W are made of durable aluminium while other parts are stainless steel and Delrin, providing a good balance.

Danielsson Original 2W Fly Reel:

Model: 2W
Line: 5-9
Capacity: WF9F-200m 20lbs
Weight: 160 gr
Outer diameter: 95 mm

List Price: £209.00

Standard Price: £167.20

Sale Price: £140.00

Delivery on this item: £4.99
24 Hour Dispatch
14 Day Money Back Guarantee
Danielsson reels the company was created in the early 1980s by Kurt Danielsson from Smedjebacken in the Dalarna area of Sweden. Today, development and production are handled by Kurt's son Tomas and his colleagues.

shad

Not sure if you know but its the same as the loop original, he designed them and then they had a fall out.Loop moved to making cheapos in china Danielsson still makes his in Sweeden,

I use the smaller sizes for rivers , great reels and at that price well worth it.

Cheers Colin

13Fisher1

Quote from: shad on February 26, 2013, 08:30:40 PM
Not sure if you know but its the same as the loop original, he designed them and then they had a fall out.Loop moved to making cheapos in china Danielsson still makes his in Sweeden,

I use the smaller sizes for rivers , great reels and at that price well worth it.

Cheers Colin

Thanks, no I didn't know about the relationship with Loop.

Malcolm

I've never used the larger Danilelson's. I did have a trout size one - very light but I didn't use it: it seemed too pretty and delicate to use although I believe they are very strong. Personally I can't see past big and robust for salmon reels and that now means picking up the bombproof system 2s from Ebay. They are heavy though. I'm just about to break faith however as I've got fed up waiting for one to come up on Ebay and am going to get a different salmon reel though.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

13Fisher1

No catch Alan - just a v smooth adjustable drag  :P :gay4
Can't recall spool price, not cheap I think that they come in at about £60 which agree is bit steep.

13Fisher1

Quote from: 13Fisher1 on February 27, 2013, 09:19:56 AM
No catch Alan - just a v smooth adjustable drag  :P :gay4
Can't recall spool price, not cheap I think that they come in at about £60 which agree is bit steep.

Alan, just checked Danielsson site and spools are €70, may be cheaper from same site as reel I found.

Malcolm

Colin,

If the bigger reels work on the same principle as the smaller ones then I wouldn'tt think of the reels as having a drag at all. There is a knob that tightens the spool but it tensions the spool for line going in or out. Rather than drag, think of it as over-run prevention. If you jam it right down you wouldn't be able to wind in.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

13Fisher1

Had amusing but fruitless experience today when I tried to order this reel, seems nobody wants or needs the money. Tried to order I directly from Danielsson web site but was having problems with secure payment process. Ended up calling Danielsson in Sweden which was answered eventually by older Swedish gentleman (well at least as old as me). I explained the problem and in very good  English with v strong Swedish accent he told me that it there was a local Internet issue as he'd heard it on the radio.

Tele call

"Can I pay order by card now by phone?"
"No I am not authorised to take card payments, only Thomas can do this"
Delay, silence......
"Can you please let me speak with Thomas then?"
"No, Thomas has just left, he always is leaving, going home, always in and out, you understand?"
"We'll no not really, I just want order one of your reels, when will Thomas be back?"
"I'm not really sure he is always coming and leaving, he may be back at 4 o'clock, he does sometimes come back, or you should call tomorrow before 12 o'clock and you should get to talk to Thomas"
"Ok thank you I will call tomorrow, bye"

I hung up thinking what a weird conversation, I thought I'd be calling a big, Global Sales office or plant! Think Thomas has probably headed out to nearest river!

Then tried a UK stockist in Devon or Cornwall and they couldn't take an order as "Tim" this time was DOWN AT THE RIVER!

Oh well tomorrow's another day, business must be good  :lol:

13Fisher1

After more calls to Danielsson Sweden this morning, actually spoke with the elusive Thomas. Explained problems I was having making on line purchase. He believed that it related to the type of credit/ bank card I had but to be fair said he would check with his Internet / web provider.
Called my bank with all of the usual delays, umpteen security checks & hand-offs. To be told that the reason that attempts to purchase from Danielsson Sweden failed was that their online payment system was trying to process payment as if I the cardholder was present!

Decided to purchase from a UK on line source I had found (Arrundells) as they had te reel for just £140. Called them and paid for item, low an behold my card was declined!
Called bank again, more delays, more security checks (starting to regret this) eventually transferred to security dept, more security checks  :lol: more time.

Turns out that the attempts to purchase from Danielsson in Sweden 6/7 times triggered the banks security audit process resulting in block. They asked did you not get our text and emails, err no.
After more questions and checks on recent transactions my card was resuscitated. Called Arrundells back order placed on reel on its way!!M  :lol:

I have used my card in umpteen countries around the world (Europe, Asia, M East..) without any issue, not really annoyed as I actually understand and genuinely appreciate the security I process that can prevent losses and fraudulent use. I have had several of these frauds in recent years.

V long story short, recommend Arrundells, link below, if anyone thinking of buying one of these Danielsson reels as prices seem v good.

Arrundells:   http://www.arundellarmsshop.co.uk/danielsson-fly-reels/

Have now recovered after long meditation in darkened room  :)

Go To Front Page