News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hill Loch "Ideal" (preferred) Setup

Started by 13Fisher1, March 23, 2013, 11:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

13Fisher1

Thinking of finally moving to lighter setup from previous comfort zone of 6,7 wt range.

Interested in members views on ideal toolkit for hill loch in terms of rod length & wt?? Fully appreciate that much of these choices will be influenced by personal preference and conditions.

However when fishing in remote hill areas where you don't have the luxury of going to car and selecting or changing rod or having 2nd rod in the boat I am interested in recommendation around "ideal" rod in this environment where wind and conditions are at best unpredictable?

I've been looking at various 4/5 wt 4pc rods including, Greys GrXi+, Orvis Clearwater, Chas Burns etc.  Have seen good reviews on Orvis Clearwater 10' 5wt and from Burns.

Wildfisher

I'd go with guest on this - 9  or 10 foot 5 weight. I use a  foot for general bank fishing etc and sometimes a 10 foot on boats, but if using dry fly I prefer the 9 foot as it's not so hard on the arms.

Hill loch gold

I bought a scierra hm3 9ft 5/6# a couple of yrs ago and find it ideal for this sort of fishing. Its a good wee rod, got it half price from glasgow angling centre when they were selling them off. :D

However, i don't think there's anything wrong with a 9 or 10ft 6# for this type of fishing. More often than not i use my 10ft 6# marksman drifter, when hill loch fishing.  :D

Alan :D

Fishtales

Like you I have used a 10' #7 weight rod for years, I have a 9'6" #7 as backup but have only used it once to make sure I liked it :) I am happy with a seven weight because in a gale I like to feel the line and the rod, lighter rods I would assume that feel would go. In really strong gales I have seen me put a #8 on the rod :) The longer rod also makes it easier to avoid heather and grass on hillsides :) I don't particularly like fishing from boats but the 10' rod makes it easier to get the flies working on the surface farther from the boat before casting again.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

13Fisher1

Thanks guys, yes as I said I know much of this is down to individual preference but your comments are helpful and sensible. I too like longer 10 foot both to avoid the scenery around the bank and in the boat for longer dangle. Going to give the Orvis Clearwater 10' 5wt a go found a good price of around £140 at Uttings Outdoors online. Have test driven one previously and it felt great for the money. Not sure about Orvis line (hydros 3D ) that was suggested  given the hefty price tag of £75!

Allan Crawford

I always end up coming back to a 10ft 6/7, usually with a 7 weight, just find it gives me the ability to put the flies were I want them, great for a team of wets which is my go to method and I like to use large flies, I increase length of my leader for dry fly to help presentation. I love the 9ft 5 weight for fishing dry fly but rarely use it as it would mean carrying it as a spare rod, tried a 10ft 4 weight last season, didnt like it from the bank as I couldnt get the flies were I wanted them but great for float tubing.

Wildfisher

It's certainly much easier to cast farther with a heavier set up

Part-time

I've used a 10' #5 Bloke rod for a few years for the lochs; mainly from the bank and sometimes boats. Does all that I need and I've never had to stop fishing due to gales although admittedly it can restrict how/where you fish on a loch.

Everyone seems to have their own manufacturer preferences but it seems to me the 9' or 10' #5/6 seems to be what the majority of folk use - as per most of the above posts.

I did use 11' Daiwa's for boat and bank for years and survived :)

Allan Crawford

Quote from: admin on March 23, 2013, 06:28:23 PM
It's certainly much easier to cast farther with a heavier set up

Yes I think it is, though thats not to say you cant cast just as far with a 5wt if conditions are right. Distance helps get a few extra fish but  mostly I find it just helps get the line out far enough when conditions are against you.

Part-time

Quote from: Colliemore on March 23, 2013, 06:38:56 PM
Yes I think it is, though thats not to say you cant cast just as far with a 5wt if conditions are right. Distance helps get a few extra fish but  mostly I find it just helps get the line out far enough when conditions are against you.

Agree with that but I think that in windy conditions casting distance is less of an issue: fish dont spook as easily. I can usually find somewhere a bit more sheltered or a bank with the wind to the side/slightly behind and it will carry the line further. I guess for my fishing confidence I'd rather have a line weight a bit light for windy conditions than one a bit heavy for normal/calm conditions. I suppose if I had casting lessons I could make a #7 land as light as a #5 :)

Go To Front Page