News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hill Loch "Ideal" (preferred) Setup

Started by 13Fisher1, March 23, 2013, 11:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

Lochs and lochans.
From the boat- 9-10ft #6-7.
From the bank- 7-8ft #5-6.
An 8- 9ft #6 does not, IMHO, produce a reasonable compromise for both situations.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Allan Crawford

Quote from: Part-time on March 23, 2013, 06:48:16 PM
Agree with that but I think that in windy conditions casting distance is less of an issue: fish dont spook as easily. I can usually find somewhere a bit more sheltered or a bank with the wind to the side/slightly behind and it will carry the line further. I guess for my fishing confidence I'd rather have a line weight a bit light for windy conditions than one a bit heavy for normal/calm conditions. I suppose if I had casting lessons I could make a #7 land as light as a #5 :)

Even with the 7 wt I'm trying to work with the wind but I can land the 7wt nice and light in decent conditions.

Part-time

Quote from: Colliemore on March 23, 2013, 07:05:26 PM
Even with the 7 wt I'm trying to work with the wind but I can land the 7wt nice and light in decent conditions.

Aye, casting skill no doubt comes into it (I don't have much :)) and my using a #5 is quite possibly a compromise due to my lack of casting skill. I cetainly can't land a #7 as light as a #5. I still think a lot of what you use comes down to your confidence in it.

Guddler

I seem to change my "favourite" rod from season to season with maybe even a change or two during the year. A 10' #5 Bloke has been good for me a lot of the time but I also use a 9' #5 travel rod a lot as well   ...and this season I'm thinking to go back to a 9' 6" #6 for a while, just to see how I get on!

I've never owned one, but I'm always on the lookout for a medium/fast action 9' 6" rod in #5 as this, in my wandering imagination, is my "ideal" hill loch rod that will cure all ills and catch me far, far better fish.  :lol:

haresear

Quote from: Alan on March 24, 2013, 12:25:18 AM
9' 5 weight for me, i can cast a 9' footer further than either a longer or heavier outfit, especially over a day, just less leverage and a faster rotation, no sunk lines though.

Same here, although I will also use an intermediate line sometimes. I prefer fishing a #4 but a #5 is probably more of an all round  rod.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Robbie

For a while I fished with a 9ft 4wt, it is a great wee rod and lots of fun but I occasionally had problems with larger heavier flies in windy conditions. For the last couple of season I have been using a 10ft 5wt, handles larger flies and adverse condition better than the 4wt, but you can feel the increased weight and load when casting. I have also recently purchased a 9ft 5wt and on my first trip this season it was a pleasure to fish. I was not fishing long enough to tell if it was much easier going than the 10ft rod, but I had no problems hooking heather even with steep banks in places.

It will come down to personal preference, but I don't think you would go too far wrong with 5wt in either 9ft or 10ft.

bibio1

I use a 10 ft 3/4wt and it does everything I want it to do. Wind can be a problem but you don't need to cast that far in my opinion.

Cheers

Paul

Tweed

I've experimented with a 9ft, #5 but in any sort of wind I've ended up going back to the 10ft, #7 setup that I was reared on.  I cast across my body a lot if the wind is right to left so that I have the option of fishing more perpindicular to the bank and getting the flies coming across the waves or swinging roung.  I find the #7 allows me to punch across the wind better.  I probably lose a bit on presentation, but I'd rather have the option for the distance and ability to fish better in a wind.  I do like the lighter set-up from the boat though - like others I'd prefer 10 ft though to work the bob.

AT

Buanán

Quote from: Tweed on March 26, 2013, 10:41:50 AM
I've experimented with a 9ft, #5 but in any sort of wind I've ended up going back to the 10ft, #7 setup that I was reared on.  I cast across my body a lot if the wind is right to left so that I have the option of fishing more perpindicular to the bank and getting the flies coming across the waves or swinging roung.  I find the #7 allows me to punch across the wind better.  I probably lose a bit on presentation, but I'd rather have the option for the distance and ability to fish better in a wind.  I do like the lighter set-up from the boat though - like others I'd prefer 10 ft though to work the bob.

AT

I'm with you on the 10' #7, if I could only have one rod that would be it and for many years it was, 10' #7/8, DT 7 for the lochs and WF 8 for the sea/burn (and the loch).

We haven't had the same amount of wind in the last few seasons but even so, last season with my lighter burn set up (that didn't sea a trout burn on account of the cold and infernal deluge down where the trout streams are to be found) 9'6" #5 I had some some success on the calm days but was left rather wanting on one rather windy day, wouldn't have faired much better with the heavier set up but I rather fancy I'd have managed to actually wet the line, all be it a short one. :lol:

bibio1

I think people would be surprised how far you can cast with 3 or 4 wt  rods , even in a wind.

On a gd day casting 30 yards of line is not a problem. Having said that 10 yards is fine fir me.

Cheers

Paul

Go To Front Page