News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hill Loch "Ideal" (preferred) Setup

Started by 13Fisher1, March 23, 2013, 11:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Dryfly

I always carry two rods on the hill. A 10ft 5# and a 10ft 7#. You only need to fall and break a rod 7 miles from the road 15 minutes after starting to fish once to value the second rod. Carrying the extra reel and line (OK lines so I've an intermediate for both) is a bit of a drag I guess.

On occasion if there is a nice burn I'll take a long a 6ft glass 2# for a bit of fun too. Its surprising what lurks in some of those tiny bits of silvery water.

kemp355

Ten foot 5wt for the boat and will also use it on the bank ,a nine foot 5wt for the bank will over most conditions gave up the 7 wts to much effort for a full days fishing each to their own

Fishtales

I only carry one rod onto the hill. The one occasion I carried two I broke one, the one that was attached to the rucksack :)

How many rods have you broken falling Paul? I have fallen loads of times but the rod has always survived. I carry mine in my hand either made up or broken down into its three sections, still made up and ready for action. Carry it in the downhill hand when traversing around or down a hill. If you do slip put your free hand down to stop you and if you can't stop toss the rod away from you into the heather/grass.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Allan Crawford

Sometimes I'll carry a spare, a 6 piece in the corner of the rucksack. A lot of the time I wont it depends on the outing. Once I was grateful of the spare and on another occasion my fishing pal was grateful but not very often has it been needed.

claytonmcnie

Quite a few years ago I bought a 9' 6# sage rod, and its been the best thing I have ever done. It felt so easy in my hand, and just suited my style perfectly.
Its been used for almost all types of conditions, but the main thing I think, is that everyone is different in style and requirements, and should try many different outfits (as you all will know many retailers have testing facilities, use it), you will know when you get one that suits you perfectly.   

mantog

In addition to rod length/line weight for this "ideal" hill loch setup - what strength leader do people prefer? I tend to use either Drennan sub-surface 4lb or Maxima clear 4lb nylon tippet on a tapered leader. Not really into fluo unless I'm pegging out lures at a rainbow fishery (just lowered myself even deeper into contempt on this forum :-D). Judging by the discarded leader you sometimes find lochside (still attached to huge flies) some people prefer 10lb!

Hill loch gold

Quote from: mantog on May 21, 2013, 02:32:41 PM
In addition to rod length/line weight for this "ideal" hill loch setup - what strength leader do people prefer? I tend to use either Drennan sub-surface 4lb or Maxima clear 4lb nylon tippet on a tapered leader. Not really into fluo unless I'm pegging out lures at a rainbow fishery

I like the fulling mill world class fluoro and use it for all my wet flea fishing, normally 5 or 6lb, but sometimes i'll go upto 7lb if i'm after big fish. I've been using it for a few seasons now and it's never really let me doon.  :D

Midgie Hater

Since i'm heading for Assynt in a couple of week thought i'd join the fray here as i'm an experienced hill man but relatively inexperienced fly fisher.

The concensus in the thread so far seems to be for 5# or above and quite long - 9/10 ft if I read a-right. Only Bibio seems to favour a lighter rod, and that was going to be my preference on this occasion - albeit my 3/4# is 8ft with quite a soft action (mainly because I bought it for my local river - the Devon, which is not that wide through most of its course. My only other rod (which was my first and a compromise river/loch rod as I could only afford one at the time) is a 9'6" 6/7 with a fairly stiff action, which, perhaps oddly, has a DT6 floating line (and a DT7 sinker on spare spool. Reason again because it was for the river and I felt delicacy would be better than a WF "splashdown" on such a water). The 3/4# has (again, bizarrely perhaps) a WF4 - mainly to help my casting with such a (for me) whippy rod. Should I take both up the hill? (not a problem for me if experienced fishers think so) If not, which would be better? I'm planning to get a WF for the heavier rod anyway, so that it's better suited to larger lochs and the 3/4 is reserved  for rivers and smaller waters, but I cant see why (again, in my relatively limited experience) a lighter rod wouldn't be ok - aside from the issues of wind of course. And like someone else said, casting a long line isn't neccessarily required when fish are in the margins (provided we dont stomp towards the bank!).

Part-time

Quote from: Midgie Hater on May 22, 2013, 12:03:39 AM
Should I take both up the hill?

My suggestion would be to take your 9'6''with your new WF line. It should be a wee bit better suited to the weather you might get and pulling wet flies but still fine for fishing dries. That said if you enjoy fishing with your 8' rod give it a go on some of lochs that aren't too remote and see how you get on.

Midgie Hater

Thanks Part Time :) Yes, I think, in hindsight that's a good idea. I do love the 8ft 3/4. I can actually feel what's going on as the blank on the 6/7 is, and has been described by reviewers and owners as "lifeless", but of course, with a bit of altitude and the probable winds/inclement weather that can mean, the 3/4 could be more of an impediment than an advantage - as i've discovered when trying to cast even on the bank of my "local" with a good breeze and a few healthy gusts. Having said that, as mentioned I dont mind the extra weight (in fact the 3/4 - even with rod tube - is ultra-light - Sonik SK3 - lovely rod if anyone's interested!) so I suppose I'll take both anyway, and use whichever suits the conditions we find.

Trouble is, with both strapped to my rucksack and tucked into the wand pockets it does rather look like like i'm about to blast off into space - as a couple of charming companions have been happy to point out - a number of times  :lol:

Go To Front Page