News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Line weight for reels

Started by alancrob, April 02, 2013, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alancrob

I have been looking at various reels and get a bit confused.  :?

If a reel says it can take line size 3 to 4 or it says maximum size 4 how does that work? Is it that the reel will not hold bigger line? Or will it upset the balance? Surely that would depend on the rod?

Any info would ease the confusion.

A.

Robbie

I believe it is to do with space on the reel, it is worth noting that this can only be a rough guide as the type / make / profile of the line and backing used will vary the space required.

alancrob

I plead ignorance again!  Can you not just put less backing on?  I have never been taken to the backing by a fish and as far as I am concerned it is just there to pad out the reel!

A.

Hoolet

Until you need it !

I'd a salmon empty ( nearly ) a spinning reel two seasons ago while fishing very light tackle...nearly shit myself!!

Haven't as yet had it with a fly reel but you never know

Hoolet.
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

haresear

Depending on the reel, you might struggle to fit a decent amount of backing on it as well as your line.

Alan (Robb),

Option a) You can do as you suggest and cut back on the amount of backing.

Option b) Or you can cut some of the running line off your flyline instead if it as a weight forward (or cut it into two if it is a double taper).

I know many people say they have never seen their backing, but I have on several occasions (yes, even on Scottish rivers) and was mightily glad it was there as insurance.

I had the same dilemma just the other week. I bought a Vosseler DC3 which allegedly takes a 5 or 6 line. I ended up cutting 10 metres off my WF5 line and even so, I doubt if I have as much as 50 metres of backing on it. I doubt if it would hold any backing at all if loaded with a WF6. That sort of misdescription pisses me off.

Alex

Protect the edge.

haresear

Quote from: Alan on April 02, 2013, 09:37:17 PM
its pretty common with large arbour reels, i only put about 50' of backing on, if a fish gets 140' out your stuffed anyways.

You'd have been stuffed by one of the fish I landed last season. :) I had about 30 yards of backing out as well as the full fly line....and I had to run downstream with it. That's about 180' of line out. :makefun

Seriously, it depends where you hook them. In a wide, open river or loch then you may well land your fish, but in a tree-lined river where you can't follow the fish, then you probably are stuffed if the fish runs a long way.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quote from: Alan on April 02, 2013, 10:12:20 PM
i had one the season before last that overran the reel jamming it solid, as i fumbled the line tightened up and it came right out and belly flapped on a tight line, stayed on but i thought 'large arbour reels don't speed up as line feeds out, so don't overrun' Mmmm.

Reels don't over-run if you use the drag.

But that takes us back to the old "is the reel just a line-holder" argument :worms

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on April 02, 2013, 10:47:54 PM
But that takes us back to the old "is the reel just a line-holder" argument :worms

Aye, you beat me to it.  :lol:

haresear

I think we've seen this movie before and maybe this thread should be spit? :)

This was the last discussion.... http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=17818.msg190254#msg190254

Alex
Protect the edge.

alancrob

All I wanted to know is - would an Orvis battenkill No 1, rated as maximum line #4 cope with the #5 line I use with my Orvis #5 rod?

Simples.

A.

Go To Front Page