News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Bruce and Walker rod identification

Started by stuartm, April 01, 2013, 01:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuartm

Hi
I have a B+W 11.5ft rod size 5 line. Soft as anything. The model says Technocrat Stillwater. It's Got a really soft through action. I find it bizarre at 11foot and size 5 line. Does anyone know anything about these rods?

haresear

Quote from: stuartm on April 01, 2013, 01:03:48 AM
Hi
I have a B+W 11.5ft rod size 5 line. Soft as anything. The model says Technocrat Stillwater. It's Got a really soft through action. I find it bizarre at 11foot and size 5 line. Does anyone know anything about these rods?

There was a vogue for rods around that length quite a few years back.  They were supposed to be "essential" for traditional loch style, dibbling the bob fly from a boat.

They were ok for that purpose as long as that was all you did -  rolling the line downwind, but the leverage on your wrist when casting overhead meant the end of that particular fad.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Highlander

As Alex said there were a few produced around the same time 80s early 90s. Daiwa & Hardy both had "long/light" rods out around the same time. Hardy's was The Kielder. I still have  a Daiwa Osprey Professional 11ft 3". 5-6wt.  For what it is, it is ideal for that purpose, fishing a team of flies & "working the bob" in front of a drifting boat, of that there is no doubt. Do not know the B&W one but it seems to be of the same ilk.
Beauty of mine is it has an extension handle that can be fitted allowing it to become a ultra light double hander. Rods have now come round full circle mainly with American influence & we have the "Switch" rod which is basically a long light rod. In fact was Malcolm not building one I seem to remember. I would seriously think of getting one in a 4wt. if there was such a thing What for? fishing wets on the Clyde, shades of Websters, The Angler & The Loop Rod. Nothings is new in fishing just variations on a theme. Alex, maybe the old timers were made of sterner stuff than us of today,12ft rods of greenheart or ash were often utilised.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Allan Crawford

I used the longer rod for many years, having a Diawa C98 11' 3" 5/6 and an original Greys GRX. A few seasons since I've used either, great for fishing wets from a boat in a lighter breeze. The reason I've moved away (apart from lack of time to be fishing and hence have a chance to use most of my rods during the season) is in a stronger wind its harder on the arm to hold the rod against the wind, harder to control the bob fly while a 10' 7wt is long enough to work the bob in the same stronger wind conditions that are food for fishing wets. The 10' is more all round if just using one rod, better for sinking lines and drys to rising fish. But the 11' 3" is a lovely tool for fishing wets in the right wind and I tend to shoot very little line just retrieve by working the rod.

stuartm

thanks for all your responses. I can see now where it would come into its own, but it is terrible to cast with even in a medium wind.
Cheers

Go To Front Page