News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What's in your bag?

Started by Paul Dryfly, April 12, 2013, 10:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Dryfly

I'm always teased about the size and weight of my bag when going off up the hill for a day. It is rather large but in my defense I usually fish hill lochs on holidays with my wife so she drops me off in the morning and meets me again at an agreed time taking the car off (yes a very very understanding wife!). So, I need to be confident in having what I need for a whole day. Here's my basic day pack. Any one take more, anything missing?

Map and Compass in a waterproof clear bag
Whistle round neck
First aid kit - basic bits (couple of bandages, wound dressing and antiseptic wipes, blister plasters etc)
Penknife
Survival bag
Skin so soft, midge hat, latex gloves (brilliant against midges or cold)
Very light weight complete change of clothes that lives in the bottom of the bag taped up in some sturdy plastic bags - I fell in over my head one April and learnt that lesson. The bags double up as boot liners so the dry socks stay dry in the wet boots stopping blisters on the way back.
Extra wool sweater and light gilet thing inside a bag to keep dry
Waterproofs
Warm hat
Walking poles
Tackle, including spare rod and line, multiple fly boxes, leader material, snips and forceps, floatant etc all in a very light vest.
Lunch and a few chocolate bars
Water - 2 liters but in future I intend to take 0.5 and top up form the hill
Very small pocket radio if there is a test match on - nothing better than fishing listening to the Aussies getting pummeled  :D Oh, and I'm afraid spare batteries too.
Either, depending on reception, a mobile phone or hand held radio.

If there is a boat and I really want to use it, quite rare... it starts to get heavy...15ft rope to make up an anchor, if windy a drogue, rowlocks/key if required and always a life vest.

Think that's it.

Billy

I usually have a 7 piece rod, flies (too many), cast material and reel with floating line.

First aid kit with whistle, tick hook etc.

Leatherman or knife.

Kelly Kettle, and a wee tin with kindling, lighter and this year I am going to have a wee box with some cloth strips impregnated with something easy to light.

Water bottle. I bought some chlorine tablets a while ago but never needed to use them yet.

Cup and a wee bag with tea bags, coffee and dried noodles. no need for milk I have given it up.

Some chocolate.

Sandwiches etc.

Lightweight jacket and room in my bag for taking off some gear which is usually the case.

Map and compass.

Midgie spray and net

Sunglasses and seeing glasses.

Occasionally I will take walking poles (advice from malcolm) but usually I do without.

Camera(s).

Thats about it. Well thats what I usually plan but end up with a lot more.

Billy

bushy palmer

Quote from: Paul Dryfly on April 12, 2013, 10:45:54 AM
I'm always teased about the size and weight of my bag when going off up the hill for a day.

Longer treks are different but for a single day my bag simply consists of:

Kelly Kettle (inside which is packed the pot stand, pot holder and some birch bark which lights in even the wettest of conditions)

Hook discorger

Head Torch

Laminated Map

Food

That's it!

all my fishing stuff (flies, nylon, reel etc) are all stowed away in pockets in my jacket and waistcoat.

A good few years back, breathable waders became my new "uniform" which also did away with the need for carrying waterproof clothing etc.

As I said before- longer expeditions are a completely different thing all-together.

Fishtales

This is my day in the hills pack.

I also take GPS, map, cameras, a few breakfast bars and a small plastic bag of extra powder drink. If it is cold I wear my fleece jacket and if it is mild a fleece top, not both though. If it gets colder I put on my waterproof jacket and trousers and if it gets warmer I tie the fleece around my waist or just loop it over the bag.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

corsican dave

I'm always teased about the size and weight of my bag when going off up the hill for a day.

and it's not about to stop anytime soon..... :lol: if that's all you take, how come you've got such a massive pack? :shock:

Tackle, including spare rod and line, multiple fly boxes, leader material, snips and forceps, floatant etc all in a very light vest.
Think that's it.
ah, now i get it...

i think that's it, too!! :8)

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

kemp355

To much most of the time
Map ,compass
First aid kit
Some dry socks light weight clothes
Flask water food
Midge net ,spray
Fly boxes ,Tippett leader flotant
Rod and spare reel torch
Hat sunglasses reading glasses

haresear

Don't do a lot of hilll loch fishing, but when I do I just take the same stuff as I use on rivers.

Waistcoat/vest with leader stuff, flies and the usual essentials. Food and drink go in there too. GPS and map. That's about it.

I wear a layer system and on a really nice day will dispense with a jacket, but an emergency PVC poncho is always in there. Obviously the midge stuff is always with me too.

No spare clothes, rods, reels.  No stoves or cooking stuff. I don't usually wear or take waders , just walking boots unless I know the loch demands that waders are necessary (or it is easy walking/close to the road).

Alex 
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page