News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tablets

Started by Wildfisher, April 29, 2013, 09:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I have been thinking about one for ages. Eventually  got a Samsung Galaxy 2 Tablet. I have to say it is pretty impressive and will no doubt even be useful when I spend a bit of time learning how to work it properly.  :lol:

The selling points were it's easy to expand the memory with an inexpensive  micro SD card (I stuck  a 32GB in mine taking the tablet up to 48GB), it supports flash and has a modern wide format screen - Apple ipads have none of these. I think Apple  although innovative  are the Nike trainers of the computer word, folk buy them because they are "cool"  That's another good reason to avoid them in my book.   :lol:

Just another expensive toy?

Fishtales

I got a Galaxy Tab 2 for  my grandson (4) one and have just bought another for my granddaughter (7). They are quick and easy to set up and use and easy to upgrade with storage as you say. They love them and having used them myself I like them too. My wife has an iPad which is also easy to use and set up but with the storage being fixed you have to make sure that you buy the right one at the start as the extra memory for the price is too expensive. The Tab is the better option so you have chosen the right one.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

emc

Love my iMac as my main computer and I can run windows applications if I want to.

I like the iPad most of the time  - except when I want to use Flash , Silverlight and the like. The fact that I can't does hack me off so when it needs replacing it might very well be the Tablet. Apple may very well shoot themselves in the foot running a closed shop.

13Fisher1

Quote from: emc on April 29, 2013, 01:27:06 PM
Love my iMac as my main computer and I can run windows applications if I want to.

I like the iPad most of the time  - except when I want to use Flash , Silverlight and the like. The fact that I can't does hack me off so when it needs replacing it might very well be the Tablet. Apple may very well shoot themselves in the foot running a closed shop.

FYI, you can download several browsers on Ipad that support Flash etc

Wildfisher

Quote from: emc on April 29, 2013, 01:27:06 PM
Apple may very well shoot themselves in the foot running a closed shop.

I have never bought Apple and I'll happily say why.

They are an innovative company for sure, however they overprice their products, are control freaks  and are anti-competitive in the extreme. Hardly a week goes past when they are not suing someone for something, luckily most times they lose.

Had they been successful in stopping Microsoft Windows back in the 80s, as they attempted to do,  computing would be years behind where it is now at the products vastly more expensive. Say what you like about Bill Gates, yes he too is a control freak, but he at least helped bring affordable computing to the masses. IMO. Apple by their default litigious behaviour attempted to prevent that.

I have worked with Apple  products since the old days back in the late 70s and early 80s when the Apple 2 came out. They have behaving that way since then and while I have worked with their products I have never bought them and never will until the day they start behaving a bit better. 

The laugh is - guess who makes the screen for iPhnes and iPads  - Samsung..................................  :roll:

13Fisher1

Quote from: admin on April 29, 2013, 02:09:08 PM
I have never bought Apple and I'll happily say why.

They are an innovative company for sure, however they overprice their products, are control freaks  and are anti-competitive in the extreme. Hardly a week goes past when they are not suing someone for something, luckily most times they lose.

Had they been successful in stopping Microsoft Windows back in the 80s, as they attempted to do,  computing would be years behind where it is now at the products vastly more expensive. Say what you like about Bill Gates, yes he too is a control freak, but he at least helped bring affordable computing to the masses. IMO. Apple by their default litigious behaviour attempted to prevent that.

I have worked with Apple  products since the old days back in the late 70s and early 80s when the Apple 2 came out. They have behaving that way since then and while I have worked with their products I have never bought them and never will until the day they start behaving a bit better. 

The laugh is - guess who makes the screen for iPhnes and iPads  - Samsung..................................  :roll:

Fred, fully accept and respect your personal opinions about Apple but not sure of their validity. Having spent 20yrs in the PC Design, Development and manufacturing industry then ALL companies aim to lock users and customers into their product range, architecture etc. IBM tried this in the 80's with MCA architecture with disasterous results then Apple did the same with their early PCs. Bill Gates consciously fought and drove for an open operating system not from a charitable social conscience but purely to establish a global standard (windows) to create volue acceptance which so far has been immensely profitable.

Apple are a hugely innovative and successful company who are litigious when it coes protecting their huge investment in terms of R&D and technology. This is no different from Microsoft, Intel and others who do the same.

Anyway everyone has their own preference in all consumer and other products which is good as it promotes choice.

Wildfisher

Apple as a company have had many ups and downs. Each time Steve Jobs pulled them back from the brink. The man was a conceptual genius, he was not a techie, he just had the feel for what folk wanted and what would appeal to them. This started way back when he picked up the idea of windows style, icon driven computing on a visit to Bell Labs.  This lead to the Lisa (a failure) then The Mac. Typically  he tried to prevent others using this idea that was not even his  by resorting to legal action. Mercifully he failed, it would have put computing back years, stifled competition and raised prices. He was certainly  a flawed individual in that respect.   It will be interesting to see how Apple fare now he is gone

Harpo

Here's the SEPA river guide for mobile/tablet
http://www.riverlevels.mobi/

Allan Crawford

I got a kindle fire at Christmas for the wife who likes to read and broke the original Kindle by never charging it, keeps the 2 yr old daughter entertained for ages, I never get my hands on it  :D
Apple just too dear for me !

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on April 29, 2013, 11:35:21 PM
how is that possible with iphones everywhere? just weird.

rectangles with rounded corners? 

Go To Front Page