News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Different ways to Skate a sedge

Started by Rabmax, June 28, 2013, 03:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

I've not seen the full video actually, I know, sacrilege! Might just have to try and borrow it  :D

Highlander

Above fly is one of a type I used at night on the Barrhead Dams in the 60/70s.
My setup was just a straight section of 6lb Maxima around 6ft with one dropper which had the sedge & on the point I fished a standard Invicta or Whickhams. The cast was greased up to & including the sedge but not the last section which was allowed to sink a few inches. Retrieve was slow but erratic,. Trout & on occasion large Trout sometime slashed at the sedge & missed but a solid take could come from the sunk tail fly. Though it was night if you got the angle towards what light here was  surprising how well you can see the surface fly. Night sight usually comes about 3/4 hrs in. A bright torch can ruin it for a whle & to that end I had a red or orange filter fitted which did the trick.
I now trim the hackle at the bottom to make it sit down a bit in the water but picture shows the way it was all those years back. Night fishing is not for everybody & if you feel unsure at the waters edge do not do it. It is an acquired arte & not for everybody. Study to be quiet & be quiet to study is my take on it.
Tight Lines

Tip: pre-dress a few flies the day before & mount them on casts, saves fumbling about in the dark trying to tie a fly on.I used to use the old Permaflote not the new stuff which is useless or the modern
Watershed. Remember these products are a Pre Treatment & not for application loch side.
Mucilin was the "grease" I used & still do . Green or Red tin, makes no difference. For the fly I use Loons Aquel which I find to be good but here are many out there that will do the trick. Oh & do not we to impatient to start night fishing Arrive in the gloaming set up you tackle have a coffee & wait. Trout that have been feeding in the falling light on small insects will cease &
after about an hour or so  feel safe in the dark & activly seek out larger morsels. This is the time for larger Trout to cruise the margins
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Rabmax

I will trim a V in the bottom of a couple of these hybrid CDC & Elk flies with hackle at the front.I cant really make my mind up yet what gets the most hits between high floating them or fishing them flush (Both work well).On losing fish ,one evening i seem to land most.Then the next evening i will only land a few & loose most.I think i get the best hookups when i lift quick as opposed to hesitating first.One thing i am certain about is some fish will hit again sometimes even after they have felt the hook moments before.Cheers All

Harpo

Quote from: scotty9 on June 28, 2013, 09:16:02 PM
I've not seen the full video actually, I know, sacrilege! Might just have to try and borrow it  :D

It's decent, although short for the money, next time I see Butler I'll get it from him.

Harpo

Quote from: Rabmax on June 28, 2013, 08:19:41 PM
I tried this one for a little while last night

That's funny Rab, I saw that video on YouTube the other night and saved it to tie one up soon?
Good to hear you got attraction to it.

scotty9

Quote from: Rabmax on June 28, 2013, 10:55:46 PM
I will trim a V in the bottom of a couple of these hybrid CDC & Elk flies with hackle at the front.I cant really make my mind up yet what gets the most hits between high floating them or fishing them flush (Both work well).On losing fish ,one evening i seem to land most.Then the next evening i will only land a few & loose most.I think i get the best hookups when i lift quick as opposed to hesitating first.One thing i am certain about is some fish will hit again sometimes even after they have felt the hook moments before.Cheers All

What sort of size are the fish?

Something I've also seen both in clear water and dirty water is that fish miss the fly a fair amount. Especially with a dragging fly, I've seen them just come up short, it's almost like they have difficulty interpreting the route of a dragging fly. I guess it's unusual for them. I also had a fish in NZ take a nymph, come off 10 seconds later, in the same motion it popped I recast out and took it on the dry!

Guess we'll need to catch up sometime for a fish then Harpo!  :8)

Harpo

Quote from: scotty9 on June 29, 2013, 12:17:27 AMy!

Guess we'll need to catch up sometime for a fish then Harpo!  :8)

That would be great Scott, no nighttime trips on the first time though.
I like to meet randoms from the Internet at daytime first   :lol:

scotty9

Quote from: Harpo on June 29, 2013, 12:21:03 AM
That would be great Scott, no nighttime trips on the first time though.
I like to meet randoms from the Internet at daytime first   :lol:

Seems fair. I'll be the beardy one in the long coat and sunglasses.

Rabmax

Scotty9 the best evening so far using this tweaking had a dozen trout ranging from 1-1/2 lb-3-1/2- 4lb ish size.Probably small for New Zealand standards but very impressive for where i fish.I never knew there were as many large trout there before.Lost one last night about 4lb just before getting it to the net.

Harpo

Quote from: scotty9 on June 29, 2013, 12:28:09 AM
Seems fair. I'll be the beardy one in the long coat and sunglasses.

:D

Rab - are fish those size unusual for the river? What time were you fishing?
I feel like going out now! Mind you I  usually manage to freak myself out at dusk never mind Middle of the night :gay4  :D

Go To Front Page