News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

have fish now what?

Started by scoobyscott, August 29, 2013, 11:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoobyscott

Hi guys I was out fishing tonight and caught a brown about 3/4lbs on going to remove the fly it was bleeding badly so chapped it   :( I have cleaned it and its now sitting in the fridge minus head and tail. I was gonna fry it for breakfast with butter. I am lost in the kitchen though. Do I just get the pan hot then place it in? Skin up or down? Should I try getting the bones out after cooking? Any help appreciated, I don't want this fish to be wasted, thanks

Harpo

Aye Scott, heat the pan, add some oil/butter
Butter will burn if it gets too hot

Put salt and pepper on and in the cavity of the fish

Fry for about 5 mins per side, don't have the heat too high
You can check for done ness by insertin a knife in the thick part and check the flesh is opaque

This video shows you how
http://youtu.be/Ebur8skz-zk

Oh and eat round the bones

scoobyscott

Nice one Harpo not watched the link but will now cheers

Mick.Y

For a fish about 3/4lb, I just stick it under the grill and coat the skin in butter a few times and do each side for about 10 minutes, depends on whether you have good ventilation in the kitchen as I like to nuke the skin and have it burnt & crispy so all windows are open.

I don't use much salt with my food apart from chips and trout, been a while since I had a broonie, good while ago I took a few from the Blackwater Reservoir and their stomachs were like Medusa when I open them up, riddled with worms they were.  :worms

I hate bones as well so once cooked I cut it in very thin strips to see any bones.

Buanán

It happens.

I prefer to get the pan hot, flash fry it both sides for two minutes then pop a lid on the pan, if cooking with electric just turn the power off leave it sat on the hob with the lid on until the hob cools, 5 mins. If gas, same thing but with low heat for the same amount of time but turn it half way through.

scoobyscott

I watched that video and didn't have half the ingredients so a knob of butter, pepper and salt. BEAUTIFUL!! Not going to make ahabit of it but will take the odd one or two per season. Just need to learn how to fillets them now. Ended up with a 3" chunk of fish  :?

Buanán

Quote from: scoobyscott on August 30, 2013, 08:50:58 AM
I watched that video and didn't have half the ingredients so a knob of butter, pepper and salt. BEAUTIFUL!! Not going to make ahabit of it but will take the odd one or two per season. Just need to learn how to fillets them now. Ended up with a 3" chunk of fish  :?

I wouldn't mess around filleting trout, easier to eat when cooked whole, well easier to remove the flesh from the bone when cooked whole. I keep the heads and tails on too as that cuts down on waste and gives a body something to hold onto whilst eating, if the fish is too long for the pan, as most keepable trout are in the 3/4 to 1 lb class are, cut it in half.

Wildfisher

Yardbent

i always cook my trout whole

1...put a large amount of butter 4tbs  in a cast iron pan and heat
it will initially foam...shim this off with a spoon - many times
as it continues to heat, the 'solids' will precipitate out .. tilt the pan and scoop out the granular solids with a spoon

you are now left with clarified butter  fry the trout in this - it wont burn - with lashings of sea salt and parsley, black pepper

place on a heated plate
run a knife down the top ie along the dorsal fin
the body will fall into 2 halves
repeat down the lateral line and slide flesh away from the ribs
remove backbone and ribs all in one piece

Chardonnay - enjoy... :D

oh and fresh squeezed lemons

Part-time

Quote from: Element on December 10, 2013, 07:30:28 PM
I'd completely forgotten about that... might re-enact it all again next season... However, there was another trout 'au fresco' moment when I cooked a brace of brownies on a small open fire with peat to get it really richly smoky.. I think that was the 1st mythbusters trip.. Given the trout were amongst the reddest (ie. not pink) I have ever seen - they were by a long mark the best trout I have ever eaten.  Got to do that again...

I think it was that trip Tony - I got hold of a set of those wire fish holder things after seeing your efforts but haven't got around to using them yet :)

For trout on an open fire (or in the oven at home) I tend just to wrap them in tin foil and add as much or as little seasoning/flavours as I'm in the mood for. The tin foil is handy out on the hill as its so light, takes up no room and can be used to make a lid for the mess tins I use with the stove - boils the water faster and keeps the food hot for longer.

Go To Front Page