News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly Line Colours

Started by aliS, April 13, 2014, 06:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliS

Not something I've ever even thought about before but does anyone think that the colour of the line matters under any circumstance?

corsican dave

not sure how much it matters to fish (i'm sure they all look pretty black from underneath), but i have to say i prefer something bright for my swff, just so i can pick it out in waves. i like the idea of a clear forward section, but that's probably just me and the fish see it just as well! :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

east wind

Quote from: aliS on April 13, 2014, 06:01:16 PM
Not something I've ever even thought about before but does anyone think that the colour of the line matters under any circumstance?

Probably not as the trout should not get see it. I've always liked a muted sand colour, not shiny
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

River Chatter

The jury's out for me on this one, though I do think there's more risk of scaring fishing when the line is the air than on the water.   In NZ you'd get laughed off the water with a brightly coloured line.  I kinda get it for them as the trout do seem extra spooky and it's about lowering the risk of scaring them off.  Having said that, I ordered a cheap Orvis #3 floater on line season before last and they sent me a bright yellow fluorescent thing.  I emailed to ask how to send it back in favour of the green line advertised and the American company said just keep it and they'll send me the green one.  So in due course the green line arrived - fluorescent green!  So I ended up with two lines I'd never normally use.  So, on went the green (the least gaudy of the two) and I set about fishing my local river.  My catch rate remained unchanged and fish came up to my dry even after the bright line floated over them.  They don't seem to mind.  I'm still using this line and when it's done I'll put on the yellow.  I suspect similar results, so who knows.  :?

aliS

Quote from: corsican dave on April 13, 2014, 06:19:02 PM
i'm sure they all look pretty black from underneath

That's pretty much how I see it. I think all my lines are anything but subtle!

Wildfisher

For river fishing I always use  subdued colour lines, usually grey. On lochs I often use white.

One of the most important things in fishing is confidence. If fishing a dayglo magenta line gives you confidence that's what you should use.

aliS

Quote from: admin on April 13, 2014, 07:01:48 PM
For river fishing I always use  subdued colour lines, usually grey. On lochs I often use white.

One of the most important things in fishing is confidence. If fishing a dayglo magenta line gives you confidence that's what you should use.

I'd have thought rivers wouldn't matter as much? I've never felt I had a problem on the river and that's were my footing in fishing lies. IMO fish are always pointing up stream, my fly is 95% of the time down stream from the line by the time a fish sees the line I'm past it and he'll live for another day. I'm pondering here...

Wildfisher

All that really matter is to fish with gear you enjoy using and that you have confidence in.  :8)

scoobyscott

Quote from: admin on April 13, 2014, 09:05:49 PM
All that really matter is to fish with gear you enjoy using and that you have confidence in.  :8)
Id go with that, just don't tell the "dry fly expert" lol

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on April 13, 2014, 09:05:49 PM
All that really matters is to fish   :8)
the edit is mine, but i'm sure you'll approve... :D
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page