News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly Line Colours

Started by aliS, April 13, 2014, 06:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

To me, a green/grey line seen against a leafy backdrop is less obvious than a brightly coloured line, so I prefer to err on the side of caution, but I doubt if it makes any real difference to the fish....

As a matter of interest, I have read that brightly coloured lines were first manufactured as "specials" for use by casting gurus for the benefit of the audience at casting demonstrations. Then the manufacturers received requests for these brightly coloured lines from the angling public (no doubt because people thought they must be super dooper casting lines).

Alex

Protect the edge.

Suki1312

Quote from: haresear on April 14, 2014, 11:31:33 AM
To me, a green/grey line seen against a leafy backdrop is less obvious than a brightly coloured line, so I prefer to err on the side of caution, but I doubt if it makes any real difference to the fish....

As a matter of interest, I have read that brightly coloured lines were first manufactured as "specials" for use by casting gurus for the benefit of the audience at casting demonstrations. Then the manufacturers received requests for these brightly coloured lines from the angling public (no doubt because people thought they must be super dooper casting lines).

Alex
Sounds very plausible Alex , The demand would have come from the puddle bashers . Laughed the other week when browsing the dark side , Somebody had started tying flees with rootbeer flash , they were all going of there nut trying to source it . Men and mice eh lol [emoji1]
Every day is a school day

Wildfisher

What on earth is "rootbeer flash"? 

Flash that can be sold to under 18s? 

Suki1312

Lol my thoughts as well . Who knows and let's face it who cares [emoji6]
Every day is a school day

Highlander

I do not think that colour pays too much importance, having said that I am a great man for
"fishing in harmony with ones surroundings" Do not think you can go far wrong with that ethos.
My dry lines tend to be light green,off white or grey whilst sinkers/sink tip are generally of a darker hue. olive, brown etc.
Having said that one of my favourite lines is a Cortland 444 & that is a peachy colour.
Disturbance is more of an issue than colour ever was.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on April 14, 2014, 01:41:46 PM
I am a great man for "fishing in harmony with ones surroundings"

Me too. I also dislike orange tents and waterproof jackets in the wilderness.   

Fishtales

I came across one of my images which shows a beetle on a window looking from the inside.

[attachimg=1]

As you can see it shows colour on the underside, although muted and on its legs, thin rear end and antennae. I know it isn't water but the effect is much the same. There would be more colour in water at the edges where the light would penetrate around the fly/line showing more of a silver halo too.

The halo effect can be seen at the head of this Shield Bug.

[attachimg=2]

It draws the light down and around the edge of whatever is floating in the surface and where the light reaches will show the colour. Unless of course it is at sunrise or sunset in clear skies then the halo becomes red/orange. That is one of the reasons red/orange surface flies lying in the surface tend to do well :)

By the way. Have a look at the legs on the Shield bug. They are under water but a fish looking at them from the side will see them as orange.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

I am certain fish can see colours.

If not we would all be fishing with a Peter Ross.   :lol:

Fishtales

Think about lying on your back watching an Eagle or an Osprey circling high in the sky. You see it as a dark object. Now the bird starts to spiral towards you. As it gets nearer the ground you see more and more of the colour of its underside until you can make out every marking on  its body. It is still above you with the sky behind it but as it comes nearer the ground the underside picks up reflected light from the ground. A fish in very deep water gets the same effect as it rises towards the surface or is lying in a shallow lie.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on April 14, 2014, 04:24:00 PM
Alex once answered it by saying fish see twigs and long stuff all the time and they tend to be natural colours so...hard to argue with that really.

Exactly the reason you need a subtle coloured  Wildfisher Fly Line     and I know just the man who can help you out  :lol:

Go To Front Page