News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Are Partridge Hooks The Worst?

Started by Wildfisher, May 07, 2014, 10:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Or is it just their  Klinkhamer hooks that are dreadful?

Ythanjoe

Varivas fine are way worse, threw away many hours of tied flies two seasons ago after multiple failures...either snapped at the bend or straightened...never again!

Highlander

Any hook manufacturer is only as good as their quality control. After all there are only about 3/4 hook manufacturers in the world, all in the Far East. All come from these factories & are just re badged with whatever company name pays them
Partridge are no better or worse than any other though I wonder why they still call themselves Partridge of Redditch when they in fact are  Mustad & have not made a hook in Redditch for many a year probably because they still retain a office there. Do not think Mustad make too many hooks in Norway now so even they probably all maufactured abroad.
I have had the odd hook/batch fail over the years. Do not use Klink hooks but the one time I bought some I picked a size14 & it looked more like a 10 so I do not know how they figure their sizes. I used to like the British made Sprite hooks but I hear that even they have gone now. I seemed to have settled on Fulling Mill hooks which are really just a rebadged Hayabusa but they to date are good hooks & I have never had a problem with them.

Anyway,off down the Leven this morning going to try the tidal water with fly see if any early Sea Trout are around.

Tight Lines
If there are Sea Trout about I never saw them.
:roll:
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

haresear

I have had the Partridge klinkhamer extreme hooks pop out of lots of mouths as well as fail to hook a lot of fish. I think it must be down to the effective gape being small in relation to the length of the shank, coupled with the odd shape of the hook (that's why I said "effective gape"). The standard Partridge klinkhamer hooks suffer from the same problems, but I find them not as bad.

I can't remember which pattern it is, but their blued fine wire dry fly hooks are alarmingly springy in the wire. I haven't had one straighten as yet, but that is likely because I don't tend to use them if I'm expecting bigger fish - I'll go for Tiemco, Fulling Mill or Kamasan.

I have loads of the Varivas 2200 if anybody wants them. I will never tie another fly with them. The soft fine wire coupled with the bend design means they will straighten if the point doen't penetrate right to the bend. I found this out on the Don on a forum outing. Caught a few fish and then lost a couple that way.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Ythanjoe

I dont have negative feelings about any soul that deserves the varivas hooks I had,  so they went in the ground to rust away...kamasan for me ...and tiemco. The klinhammer extreme cant have gone through any thorough testing before market!

Wildfisher

The weird thing about the klinhamer extreme is I have lost countless fish on them, but, never a big fish. They don't seem to come unstuck so easily.

Ythanjoe

That is weird...one thing I recall is when they do stick, the hook is not as easy to release, another reason I gave them up.

Go To Front Page