News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

not so shy otter

Started by jimmul, August 14, 2014, 08:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmul

Was on the River Ribble a couple of days ago, on a 'falling water' having a cast to see if there were any tourists around,
I thought my luck was in when I saw this fella porpoising from the corner of my eye.
I had always thought otters were very shy but this one stopped around and was having a good look at me
apologies for the video as it was from my phone but this was the best of it
Jim :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcI-6e4N0EU

Wildfisher

Excellent, but don't tell John Wilson!   :lol:

Billy

I have had them come right up to the end of my rod. For a while I have thought that their eyesight might not be too great.

I even had one appear at my feet one time on the Don.

Nice to see.

Billy

jimmul

It's the first one I have seen close up, I could have reached out and touched it at one point, hopefully it will encourage me to put my camera in my pocket a little more often.
Why John Wilson, Fred?

Wildfisher

John Wilson was calling  for an otter cull in England a few years ago.

Buanán

Many times I dragged myself out of bed in the wee small hours, staggered across half a mile of salt flats in the pitch black only to discover an otter in the river. They're quite cocky under those conditions, quite the opposite of retiring, the wee barsettes  :lol:

Wildfisher

One summer evening I was fishing on the Alford Cooncil beat of the Don when I noticed a huge trout bulge under the surface of my favourite pool. I got into position then saw and other 2 huge fish bulge, then another then another. A head popped up and stared at me. It was not fish of course, it was a family of otters.   :lol: I just sat there for 1/2 hour watching them. Very entertaining although not exactly good for fishing prospects!

emc

Quote from: admin on August 14, 2014, 08:42:22 AM
Excellent, but don't tell John Wilson!   :lol:

I think your secret is safe - he's gone to Thailand..................... for good!

jimmul

Thats good I'd rather have the otter, at least they don't have that 'laugh'!

Bobfly

They are certainly inquisitive beasties. I guess it would work just the same with otters on rivers but you can whistle a steady tone to otters on the coast and they will want to see what the noise is about.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page