News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Ideas to run past you

Started by sinbad, January 04, 2015, 09:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinbad

1. If I nipped on a small bit of shot above and just behind the eye of most flies would it make them fish point up ?
2. If I left a little tail when tying on a fly and nipped the shot on that would it work much the same assuming I get it sticking up ?
3. If I threaded a dropper straight on the main line and jammed it in place with something ,say a tip of a thorn or split bit of heather would I have a depth adjustable fly/indicator ?

As you can see Ive been stuck in the house with no fishing  :)

Harpo

Quote from: sinbad on January 04, 2015, 09:12:54 PM
1. If I nipped on a small bit of shot above and just behind the eye of most flies would it make them fish point up ?
2. If I left a little tail when tying on a fly and nipped the shot on that would it work much the same assuming I get it sticking up ?
3. If I threaded a dropper straight on the main line and jammed it in place with something ,say a tip of a thorn or split bit of heather would I have a depth adjustable fly/indicator ?

As you can see Ive been stuck in the house with no fishing  :)

I've no idea on 1&2 but for 3 you can achieve that with one of the wee needle/plastic contraptions that make an adjustable indicator/fly

link for said thing please someone  :D

Wildfisher

I don't think the shot will make the fly swim point up. You would just be adding weight along the hook axis and not compensating for the weight of the bend and point.

If you don't want to use jig hooks and a bead which biases the fly permanently, you could add a stub of nylon behind the eye pointing upwards and add a split shot to that when required.

haresear

For some reason, I can't see the image Alan has posted, but if you want a sliding indicator on a dropper, or a fly, you can tie a sliding stop knot as used in float fishing. Just leave the tag end long and you could tie an indicator on to that, or a fly.

For the point-up fly, Fred's suggestion will work (as in Oliver Edwards' peeping caddis) or the beadhead on a jig hook is much easier.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Look at this guy's polyphaetis nymph  for the bead on nylon idea. TBH I just use jig hooks now with which I had phenomenal success over the last few months of the 2014 season. I have re-tied just about all of my nymphs on them.

http://www.onstream-guide.com/sales.html

sinbad

Not sure I explained that very well.
In 1. I meant nipping a wee shot on the fly dressing material behind the eye and on top, Ive loads of nymphs just wondering about modifying some on the spot.
In 3. I meant sliding the fly up and down the leader with no knot just jamming it in place.

sinbad

Fred do you mean the hook shape on a normal fly would nt allow it change to fishing point up by adding weight to opposite side from the point ?

haresear

1. Should be easy enough to try by just doing it and trying it in the bath :) I think the shot will tear off when casting eventually though.
2. Sounds extremely fiddly and unworkable to me, if we are talking about jamming something through the eye of a fly.  :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: sinbad on January 04, 2015, 10:18:14 PM
Fred do you mean the hook shape on a normal fly would nt allow it change to fishing point up by adding weight to opposite side from the point ?

Yes, that's the idea. You have counterbalance the weight of the bent portion of the hook which naturally want to hang downwards

Rabmax

If it was me i would just tie up some more of my favorite patterns on jig hooks with tungsten beads.I will often have a none weighted nymph on my top dropper though.I still have loads of polyphaetis nymphs that i am using up that i tied years ago.I opt for tying jig hook nymphs over polyphaetis now as it's a much faster tie. Cheers

Go To Front Page