News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Worm Fishing?

Started by Adromar59, March 05, 2015, 04:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adromar59

I have a question, the answer may be obvious to more experienced folks on this site, but it is confusing me.
I see on some information regarding Scottish Loch Fishing that Fly, Worm and Spinning is permitted.
Fly and Spinning is clear.
But what is worm fishing?
How is it different from what I may know as course fishing with a float?
Or is it ledgering?
I wouldn't wish to infringe any restrictions by using the wrong method.
Many thanks in advance.
Adrian

Mark

I grew up worm fishing burns, and its the best way for any beginner to learn where trout lie in different parts of water. Im not sure I would have been as keen on fishing when I was a kid if it had been fly only.
Its a shame so many rivers ban worm fishing for kids as its a great introduction...I took my daughter out  a couple if times last year to a nearby burn and we caught lots if trout, she loved it.
I'll have a couple of outings June/July with some upstream worming this year too when the rivers are low.

Not sure its needed on lochs tho if it has a large head of trout, they aren't really fussy and more chance of deep hooking.
What I do hate tho is people sitting on their arse fishing. Explore the area don't just sit on a folding chair all day like watching tv

Adromar59

Worm fishing wasn't on my agenda, I just couldn't understand the description or what it was trying to avoid.
As I am new to Scottish fishing I didn't want to fall foul of any rules.
I will be fly fishing, or attempting to, and maybe spinning.
I will be taking an easy option to begin with and drive to a location, I have Loch Lundie and Loch Achaidh na h-Inich in mind as they are out of the way a bit and free.
It's an area I particularly like visiting so it's a good start.
If I am successful I may post something of my experience, if its a wash-out, then I might just keep quiet and save my dignity.
Thanks for the comments.
A

Adromar59

Thanks for the comments and encouragement everyone.
Element, The Lundie I am thinking of is near Plockton.
The Loch of Dispair!!!!! Doesn't sound good. Perhaps I need some suggestions.
I want to drive to the location and sleep in the back of the car, that's why I picked those Lochs, access.
But I would like to catch something.
I don't mind the distance. the idea is to get away from everyone, I am not anti-social, but I have a stressful job and when I need a break I like to completely get away.
I will drive up on day 1 and sleep in the car at Loch Lomond, from there I can get just about anywhere.
I plan to stay 3 or 4 nights.
Easter can't come soon enough.

Adromar59

Looks like there are some options in that neck of the woods, might have to take my walking boots.
Thanks Alan

corsican dave

Quote from: Alan on March 07, 2015, 06:21:46 PM
rumoured to have big trout and pike, it looked like a reed marsh to me, and impossible to get to the waters edge
that sounds like my sorta' place, Alan!

stick with the fly rod, Adrian. you'll find it very handy for the reed marshes..... :wink: and enjoy the de-stress!  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Adromar59

Thanks Element
That sounds just what I am looking for.
I will get my maps out later and work out where your sending me.
I know roughly where this is as I ride my bike up that way a couple of times a year.
Fantastic, this trip is begining to come together, I might not want to come back.
And thanks for the fly fishing encouragement Corsican Dave, I fully intend to stick with it.
Cheers all
Adrian

corsican dave

Quote from: Adromar59 on March 08, 2015, 09:22:17 AM
Fantastic, this trip is begining to come together, I might not want to come back.
just stay, mate. I did...  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page