News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Spinning Rod

Started by Wildfisher, May 12, 2015, 09:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I have an 11 foot spinning rod that I use for mackerel off the rocks etc. I'm thinking about buying a smaller, lighter rod, say about 8 foot that would be more suitable for salmon on small rivers.  I don't want a barge pole. It won't get much use, so I don't want to spend a lot.

Any recommendations?

haresear

Quote from: admin on May 12, 2015, 09:47:11 PM
I have an 11 foot spinning rod that I use for mackerel off the rocks etc. I'm thinking about buying a smaller, lighter rod, say about 8 foot that would be more suitable for salmon on small rivers.  I don't want a barge pole. It won't get much use, so I don't want to spend a lot.

Any recommendations?

I like this, it is telescopic so might not be what you are after. Unlike some tele rods it is carbon as opposed to composite
http://www.tackle2u.com/rods/spinning-rods/leeda-telespin-89-10ft-rod-great-value/flypage.tpl.html

Alex
Protect the edge.

fergie

Check out the Ron Thompson spinning rods fred .Pretty good quality and they arnt going to break the bank.

Highlander

So many to choose from Fred, like Fergie said the Ron Thompson range is worth a look at despite Alan blowing one up.
My neighbour has one called The Steelhead & I believe it is a 8ft version.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ron-Thompson-Steelhead-Spinning-7-240/dp/B00MRPEXG8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1431513719&sr=8-3&keywords=ron+thompson+rods
He has had it for a number of years & has caught a few big fish with it. One thing I personally would avoid is telescopic versions & handles of Hyperlon. Go for cork every time.

I have an Abu rod as a spare which was less than £40 & whilst I have only used it a couple of times the built qualiy is fine or at least appears to be.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

corsican dave

Quote from: Alan on May 13, 2015, 01:47:59 AM
The best one i ever had was a Shimano travel rod, the bag was about the length of a 12' ruler, no use for mackerel but lethal on a river.
shimano exage mini tele bx stc. not cheap, and maybe no good for mackerel; very good for large pike.... :wink:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

fergie

Quote from: Alan on May 13, 2015, 01:47:59 AM
I had one of those that snapped leaving me deaf in one ear and holding what looked like a giant stick of candy floss :shock: when i say snapped it was more like an explosion!

The best one i ever had was a Shimano travel rod, the bag was about the length of a 12' ruler, no use for mackerel but lethal on a river.

What the hell were you casting Alan. :lol:
Tams big Ron Thompson snapped on opening day on the Tieth this year too that rod was a veteran of many a ferox trip so God knows what happened but it snapped with a hell of a crack my first thought was gun shot.
But the steelhead range gets a good name. :D

Go To Front Page