News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

3 Season Sleeping Bags

Started by Wildfisher, August 15, 2015, 08:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

Quote from: bibio1 on August 16, 2015, 04:50:39 PM
Asking a really daft question.

The price of down bags is astronomical and I question their value unless.you are doing serious  expeditions during the winter. What is the difference between a down bag you can get from say Korea for around £70 that is around 2kgand a bag in this country of around £300. It seems these prices can't be justified.

Cheers

Paul

not a daft question, although the full answer would be more detailed than the thread requires. essentially; quality. bear this in mind: if the likes of mountain equipment, rab, phd  etc could sell their premium down bags at more competitive prices, don't you think they'd do it......? as with all these things, there is generally a good reason for premium priced products. and we're not talking fashion products here.

here's a pretty good attempt at a full answer, for anyone who's interested: http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/the-truth-about-sleeping-bags

i'm going to bow out at this point before people start telling me they can get the "same" thing from lidl for £50.  :roll: you can't. (but yes, you can find products that will be more than adequate for your needs cheaper than the premium products)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

bibio1

Good article. I can't help feeling sleeping bags are a bit like fishing rods and that a large proportion of their cost is marketing and Labour costs.the best rod I have is a Norwich It does everything I need and is a pleasure. It knocks socks off all the high end rods by a country mile. The high end rods cost almost double and if you read the blurb they can even cook your dinner if you need them too.

What I'm saying is that I m looking for the Norwich version of a goose down bag.

Cheers

Paul

corsican dave

Quote from: bibio1 on August 17, 2015, 09:20:35 AM
What I'm saying is that I m looking for the Norwich version of a goose down bag.
I note with interest that a new David Norwich rod is £600 and a Fladen Vantage is £25
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

There are parallels. After using Sage  and Scott I find budget priced rods clunky and would not like to go back to them.

The worst thing ever when camping is to be wet, cold hungry. A good tent and a good sleeping bag are essential. Synthetic bags are good, but if you want small size, low weight and warmth  you have to go for down. As I said I bought a Black's Polar (expedition quality bag) 30 + years ago and still have it - it's too bloody hot though!   :lol: 

As Dave says you have to spend the money - it solves the hunger issue too - the lighter your gear the more food you can carry.  :8)

Bobfly

I see to my surprise that the Terra Nova bag I recommended is now priced at £340. I paid £179 !!
The Montane Featherlight5 bag is still for sale at £160-170. Goes down to -4 or -5 and the "comfort rated" level is +5 which I think  is assessed without any clothing layers on.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Fishtales

Quote from: admin on August 17, 2015, 09:57:06 AM
A good tent and a good sleeping bag are essential. Synthetic bags are good, but if you want small size, low weight and warmth  you have to go for down. As I said I bought a Black's Polar (expedition quality bag) 30 + years ago and still have it - it's too bloody hot though!   :lol: 

As Dave says you have to spend the money - it solves the hunger issue too - the lighter your gear the more food you can carry.  :8)

The one George has compresses smaller than my down bag (Nanok Performance -10). The two of them together are the same size as my Pro Action tent with the poles in, but the tent is a half size bigger than each of the sleeping bags if compressed with the poles removed, just to give you a comparison :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page