News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Float tubes?

Started by Clan Chief, September 17, 2015, 08:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

Last week there was quite a bit of talk about float tubes.
I'm thinking now of getting one. I see a couple on the GAC page the Ron Thompson max and a Lineaeffe model. Are they worth having ? Does anyone know of other models to consider ? Advice etc etc?

SoldierPmr

I've had my eye on the Snowbee one my self mainly for carrying in a bergen I can't imagen it being too different from the Ron T.

Robbie

I was advised after last years EOSS to look for a second hand Sparton tube, got very luck and was pointed to one on Ebay. As its coming to the end of the season it may be worth taking some time to look for one yourself, plenty time to buy one of the others before the start of the new season if needs be.

Lochan_load

I've had a look but haven't seen any Spartans about ( must've had the same adviser ;) )  there's a hart defender in waveinn.com that I've fancied for a while but I'm not in a rush

JimJams

I use mine a lot! And I mean a lot! So good for getting to that corner of the loch you always see the rises on but can't get too!
I bought mine a couple of years ago from gumtree, cost me £50 and never let me down!
It's a Ron Thompson one too.

highlander2504

I have  Lineaeffe and  Guideline tubes and to be honest the Lineaeffe is just as good as the more expensive guideline.
In my opinion the majority of tubes are the same or very similar. All you are paying more for is the name.
Get a reasonably priced tube and spend a bit more on fins. Don't use the ridiculous ones that usually come with the tube. Decent fins make the experience much more enjoyable.

Wildfisher

I'd think twice before spending a  lot of money on a float tube.  Speaking for myself, after a year or so I wearied of the faffing around involved with all that extra gear I thought it spoiled the purity of my day and was really a bit of an early noughties  fad.   I improved my casting and tend only to bank fish now. I also believe not being able to reach every fish in the loch easily is no bad thing.

I'll keep the tube though because, you never know,  I might use it sometime and in any case it cost me nothing, a feebie from Shakespeare which was rather generous of them.  :8)

shad

Quote from: highlander2504 on September 18, 2015, 12:07:36 AM
I have  Lineaeffe and  Guideline tubes and to be honest the Lineaeffe is just as good as the more expensive guideline.
In my opinion the majority of tubes are the same or very similar. All you are paying more for is the name.
Get a reasonably priced tube and spend a bit more on fins. Don't use the ridiculous ones that usually come with the tube. Decent fins make the experience much more enjoyable.
Ah someone owns the lineaffe,could you maybe do me a massive favour and weigh it?I'm looking to buy a tube for taking on hols so needs to be light.I see it listed on eBay as 3.6kg but I'm sceptical.

johnny boy

I have a snowbee and whilst its good the lack of a backrest pocket (to put your jacket etc in) is a bummer. This means if your going out all day you have to wear what you are likely to need the whole day...

I have a Spartan but it has a slow leak which I just done seem to be able to find, if you get a second hand one then you need to consider lack of replacement parts (unless someone here can point you/me in the right direction).

Lochan_load

Could diver Dave not pressure test it and fix your leak?

Go To Front Page