News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Did a stupid thing

Started by bibio1, January 17, 2016, 07:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilder the Better

Having regularly tramped around in soaking wet ground for 3 or 4 days you at a time, perpetually wet feet was getting me down. Everyone has a different prererence on what boots perform the best as is shown by the replies in this topic.

I have to agree with Fred. I did loads of research and it pointed me in the direction of Altbergs. Most of my life I was between 9 and 9.5 but when they were measured (few people now do this but IMHO essential), I was surprised when the guy said I was now a 10.5 - apparently your arches drop when you get "old". The thing with Altbergs is they have both half sizes and width fittings.

Anyway these are the finest boots I have ever had. 2 hard seasons in and they are still fully waterproof and as comfy as hell.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Wilder the Better on January 31, 2016, 08:20:51 PM
Anyway these are the finest boots I have ever had. 2 hard seasons in and they are still fully waterproof and as comfy as hell.

Carpet slippers for hill walking.  :8)

haresear

Quote from: Wilder the Better on January 31, 2016, 08:20:51 PM
Having regularly tramped around in soaking wet ground for 3 or 4 days you at a time, perpetually wet feet was getting me down. Everyone has a different prererence on what boots perform the best as is shown by the replies in this topic.

I have to agree with Fred. I did loads of research and it pointed me in the direction of Altbergs. Most of my life I was between 9 and 9.5 but when they were measured (few people now do this but IMHO essential), I was surprised when the guy said I was now a 10.5 - apparently your arches drop when you get "old". The thing with Altbergs is they have both half sizes and width fittings.

i'm in the market for a new pair of boots myself, so I will have a look at these. Looks though, like there are no stockists in the Glasgow area, which is surprising.

Late edit.... It looks like Greaves in Glasgow stock them, so I suppose I will have to venture in to the city, which is a rare occurrence.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

bibio1

What kind of altbergs was it you all got? Defender?

burnie

I got a pair of Goretex Zamberlan suede/man made mix , can't wear leather as they kill my feet, had a pair of Brashers for years, but binned them.

Wildfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on January 31, 2016, 09:35:49 PM
What kind of altbergs was it you all got? Defender?

I got these Paul. At £200 not cheap, but mine are still in first class condition after over 3 years use

http://www.altberg.co.uk/stockist-product/the-tethera-mens-boot/

The most important thing is getting them fitted properly by someone who knows what they are doing.

shad

Ive 3 pairs of altbergs and love them, they are the ones now issued to the army.I have black for work and 2 pairs of brown for walking and general use.They are very comfy ,waterproof  and have not developed any issues yet.

I think they are the defender model, you can pick up nearly new pairs on ebay pretty cheap, my last pair were £70 and looked to be new - squaddies getting some beer vouchers Id imagine.

They come in 3 widths so you can get a good fit, not bad for the money and they look good as well.

Bobfly

I'm with Laxdale .... I wore Nora wellies when I lived and worked in Argyll for 11 years. Fantastic welly boots for work.
After the Elf n Safety got in I had to go to different safety toe-capped wellies
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page