News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tents.

Started by Clan Chief, September 29, 2016, 01:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

free the bees

Quote from: caorach on December 01, 2016, 05:27:42 PM
I don't know if it helps but here is a photo of my Banshee on a Lewis trout loch, as you can see it is quite high in the middle but falls away quite rapidly so there isn't much foot room/head room at the extreme ends. This isn't a practical problem for me as I'm not tall but might be an issue for a taller person:

Thanks Caorach.  I am going to hold off buying one and will try and get to an outdoor shop or a tent event which has one up to see if I can sit up. I am 6ft so it may be a struggle.  For me its a must to be able to sit up in the tent.

caorach

I'd say you might be able to sit up, hard to be sure, but I'd be more worried about the actual usable length of the tent especially where it comes close to the ground at the foot and head end. Also be sure to test with an inflated mat or similar in place as that will lose you an few inches of foot/head room in terms of height. My Vaude Power Lizard is quite a bit longer than the Banshee but for my purposes it is way too expensive unless you get a really good deal on it, I was just lucky in that respect.

Lochan_load

I'm 5'10 and pretty sure I can sit up in the middle but it's tight, worth being sure. If there's a go outdoors near you they usually have one set up. Great wee tent but you've got to be comfy.

free the bees

Quote from: caorach on December 01, 2016, 10:21:28 PM
I'd say you might be able to sit up, hard to be sure, but I'd be more worried about the actual usable length of the tent especially where it comes close to the ground at the foot and head end. Also be sure to test with an inflated mat or similar in place as that will lose you an few inches of foot/head room in terms of height. My Vaude Power Lizard is quite a bit longer than the Banshee but for my purposes it is way too expensive unless you get a really good deal on it, I was just lucky in that respect.

Very good point about the length and yet another thing I will need to check. I had a look at the Vaude Power Lizard and well outwith my price range and not come across any decent deals. 

Think I will wait till spring and go and see some tents up and get a good feel for it but swaying to a banshee or tempest (if they are long enough and I can sit up)

caorach

Quote from: free the bees on December 05, 2016, 11:03:30 PM
Very good point about the length and yet another thing I will need to check. I had a look at the Vaude Power Lizard and well outwith my price range and not come across any decent deals. 

Think I will wait till spring and go and see some tents up and get a good feel for it but swaying to a banshee or tempest (if they are long enough and I can sit up)

I got the Power Lizard for £200, more than I'd want to pay but that price was a lot less than they were making on ebay second hand so it was a no-brainer as if I hated it I could sell it and make a profit. Now I've no idea on earth how I got it for £200 but all I can say is it came from Uttings about November last year and I think Vaude made a "new model" Power Lizard for 2016 so mine was, basically, a 2015 model. My guess is that they were selling old stock though if you can spot the difference between the 2015 and 2016 models you probably get a prize. They sold out of them at that price in no time at all.

With this in mind it might be worth looking around, or reading around the reviews, to see who might be releasing new models and then shopping for the old model as, in general, the differences will be detail things rather than major changes in functionality. I'm sure there are at least 20 tents out there as good as the Power Lizard. One thing I will say is that light weight and low volume are, in my view, worth paying for and for this reason I believe the Power Lizard to be a much better tent than the Banshee, the Banshee is an excellent tent and fantastic value for money but I honestly think the Power Lizard was worth another £100 to me even though I simply couldn't have afforded to buy one at full price, or anywhere close to it.

johnsd

Interesting debate about the banshee I've promised myself to get out and do more camping next season before old age sets in not done a lot since early stravaigs plan to take my collie with me so looking for decent floor space banshee might be to cramped with the dog looking at the vango blade 2 at the mo any thoughts
yer going where

johnsd

Well that's me set up for next season my good lady got me a banshee for part of my Christmas (don't know if she is trying to tell me something)I will now have to retire my old argos pro action one man tent at least it will give the dug more room, sleeping and cooking kits have been added to, map and compass videos been revisited so good to go,I sound like a teenager instead of someone who has had his bus pass for a couple of years but as someone once said yer a long time deed will be pestering a few folk on here for camping sites with lochs nearby of course. Cheers John
yer going where

caorach

Well done John, try and assemble the Banshee asap as I had a few quality control problems with mine and had to return the first one I got, the second one was great.

While the Banshee is tight for a two man tent I'd say it will be OK for one man and his dog. My concern with the dog might be that he'd put a claw through the groundsheet but the Banshee groundsheet is really robust. A friend gave me a good "footprint" solution as he got a blue waterproof tarpaulin thing for a couple of quid and I put it on the ground under the tent to give some protection from sharp stuff. It is very lightweight compared to other solutions I'd tried. I don't know if this is it, but it looks a bit like this:

https://mahahome.com/p/Harris/Home-Garden-Garden-Conservatory-Gardening/Harris-Waterproof-Tarpaulin-21-m-x-15-m-Blue/5000253030507?gclid=CNmdq5b6lNECFcEy0wodb9MP7w

I'm new to the camping thing and I only do it a few times per year, if the weather looks decent, but it is great fun.

Lochan_load

Well in John, camping is great even for an old bugger  :lol:  I got one for my Xmas last year and it's definitely good for the money. Maybe a wee camping stravaig next year, not in September though  :gay4

Fishtales

Once the Banshee has been erected don't undo the tension straps or remove the inner, remove the poles and fold the whole lot up as one and it will go back up quicker. That's what my mate does with his. Also pack the poles separately and slide them down the inside of the rucksack and the tent can be packed down small using the compression sack. I would recommend practising that a few times before doing it for real :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page