News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

small stream special

Started by corsican dave, November 11, 2016, 08:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: caorach on November 17, 2016, 05:40:10 PM
The more rods I buy the more convinced I become that you are mad to spend big money on a fly rod

Generally I agree - at least that they are VASTLY overpriced. However my Sage and Scott rods are a delight to use, an absolute delight I have not found in other rods. They are still not worth the money though. Best to buy second hand and save 100s

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on November 17, 2016, 05:52:22 PM
Generally I agree - at least that they are VASTLY overpriced. However my Sage and Scott rods are a delight to use, an absolute delight I have not found in other rods. They are still not worth the money though. Best to buy second hand and save 100s

The more rods I buy the more convinced I become that you are mad to spend big money on a fly rod as, mostly, what you are paying for is magazine adverts. I've been very pleased with my Leeda Volare rods and I know you had one of the 11 foot ones Dave. Why not take a look at their 6 or 7 foot rods for a 3 weight line? You'd pay less than £50 for what would be, I'm sure, a nice usable rod. The 11 foot 4 weight you sold on was a very soft action rod but the 7 weight one I have is much faster and throws a serious line so they do a good range of actions to suit everyone.   

I kinda' agree with both of you, having championed Shakespeare often in the past. however, having been fortunate enough to acquire both sage and hardy rods at cut-price, I have to say that both have improved my enjoyment no end. my Shakespeare agility was not a patch on the hardy proaxis and corroded severely after 2 seasons swff. my sage pike 10wt weighs less than my much cherished (!) fladen vantage #6 and is, as Fred says, a delight to use.

back to the practicalities; roll casting with a soft-actioned rod: presumably just a matter of practice?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Billy

I have a Greys GRXi 7' 3# rod which I think is a little cracker. In fact I enjoyed it so much I bought another two Greys rods.

Perfect for small streams.

Billy

corsican dave

Quote from: Billy on November 18, 2016, 07:49:52 AM
I have a Greys GRXi 7' 3# rod which I think is a little cracker. In fact I enjoyed it so much I bought another two Greys rods.

Perfect for small streams.

Billy

that was another one on my radar Billy, cheers!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

I have a  Grey's GS2 7 foot  #2 weight. Soft action and ideal for small streams where you don't cast far. I recall it was about £60

Wildfisher

I also have a 6 1/2 foot #3 weight cane rod. It is beautiful, but hopeless if you have to cast into a wind.

corsican dave

The more rods I buy the more convinced I become that you are mad to spend big money on a fly rod as, mostly, what you are paying for is magazine adverts. I've been very pleased with my Leeda Volare rods and I know you had one of the 11 foot ones Dave. Why not take a look at their 6 or 7 foot rods for a 3 weight line? You'd pay less than £50 for what would be, I'm sure, a nice usable rod. The 11 foot 4 weight you sold on was a very soft action rod but the 7 weight one I have is much faster and throws a serious line so they do a good range of actions to suit everyone.
garry evans currently has the 6'3wt on sale for £30; which is tempting, even untried....

caorach

Quote from: corsican dave on November 18, 2016, 11:35:03 AM
garry evans currently has the 6'3wt on sale for £30; which is tempting, even untried....

Even if you hate it you'd get back what you paid for it if you sold it again so that's probably a good enough position to find yourself in.

In truth when you someone describes the action of a rod it doesn't really mean anything to you and it often takes a while to really get into a rod so getting one for a long term test is the way to go.

corsican dave

had a look at the shakey agility rise 6' #3wt today. definitely a no go. cork at front of handle poorly finished & rings out of alignment. bit stiff, too I reckon; probably not a through-action. comment on a review elsewhere: "what do you want for £35?" oh, so that justifies buying it, then....?  :roll: not!  :8)

Bobfly

My Shakey Agility is an 81/2' 4 piece 4 weight and it is pretty good to use and the rod is well finished off. It feels about right for action and size. My shortest rod is a Welsh made Kudos 7.5' 4piece, 4weight, built on a Loomis blank. I feel that that is quite short enough for smaller rivers and wee burns because I find that you get not much line control, but line control goes out the window if you are in the bushes anyway!!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page