News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

PSFGC guide to stupidly expensive reels you might actually need... or not

Started by corsican dave, May 29, 2017, 08:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

EXCEPT .... many problems with the "Original" series of their reels which were running on three rollers into which all sorts of grit and fine sand would work its way and eroded the inner spool frame. Quite a few jammed according to a chap I was speaking to who had had to return them to the makers and give customer refunds. They appear to still make that type. Loop had something very similar and stopped making them.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

a quick review of the Danielsson L5W
Danielsson L5W (6nine)
rrp £213

Pros
made in Sweden
direct from the manufacturer
fast delivery
high quality engineering
mid-range price
suitable for saltwater use
positive drag setting
smooth drag

Cons
small handle
slight start-up inertia & slight resistance on winding
drag knob shallow

Overall Verdict
very high quality reel for a surprisingly low(relatively) price

Description
straight from the packaging this reel exudes quality. The whole construction is solid and the tolerances are tight. The finish is brushed rather than polished and there is a logo & model description discreetly etched on the back-plate rim. There is a neoprene pouch which is a bit tight, but perfectly usable.
In use the reel is smooth. The drag adjustment is positive but as the knob is quite shallow it could be tricky for folks with large hands or in the cold. There is a slight start-up inertia and the drag noise is not very audible. There is a similar resistance on winding in, which takes a bit of getting used to. The handle is definitely on the small side and it's quite a specific design so not easily replaced.

As far as fishing goes, the drag is lovely and smooth when a fish takes line; but there is a (barely) noticeable pause before the spool starts turning. Just enough for a bit of extra tension on the rod. A softer tip rod rather than a super-stiff casting stick would probably help.

These are very minor issues & make no mistake; this is a very high quality reel. I'm not surprised it's the choice of many professionals
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Robbie

Thought it worth keeping adding a reel review / warning to this.

I have been looking at buying a reel recently and had put a reasonable amount of research and ground work into the purchase. Bit the bullet last week had splashed out a bit on a Ross Evolution LTX. I was swayed but a couple of things, firstly and most significantly in about 2013 Ross Reels were bought by the same company that own Abel and productions of both companies reels were moved Tom the same business park / premises. The reel also includes one or two neatly though out details which suggested a reassuring level of design.

When the reel arrived I was initially very pleased, as you'd expect of a reel in the price bracket the finish was very high. It looks are also good enough to please any tackle tart. Unfortunately I soon noticed some play in the spool, it moved about 0.5mm. Lightly shaking the reel resulted in a clicking noise as the spool contacted the housing.

I contacted Ross Reels to confirm whether this was a defaul and also sent a similar query to the dealer I purchased the reel from. The dealer, Sportfish, were brilliant and couldn't be more helpful. Turns out that other reels in their stock had the same play in the spool.

I also exchanged several e-mails with Ross Reels, to be fair their responses were prompt and courteous. The long and short of it is that the play is apparently part of the design of the reel and intended to minimise start up inertia. However, I was not convinced and have return the reel and received a full refund from Sportfish.

Highlander

This is a reel I like, all be it an old model with the non ventilated spool. Bit heavy by todays standard but something I like my reels to be.

" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Lochan_load

fair play, it's too much money for a reel to not be completely happy with it. Not sure id be happy with that either.
Not used my loop q in anger yet but I've had a cast and a play with it in the garden/house and I'm really happy with it. The drag seems good and it feels really well put together. Looks the part too. Will have to see how durable it is with the cast rather than machined body. That is an issue with the sage reels I have which are cast as well to keep the cost down. Drop one on rock (or in my case a tiled floor  :roll: ) and they bend quite easily. Hopefully won't be an issue with the new one.

Lochan_load

Sean Freeman

That's a shame about the Ross LTX, I've been eyeing them for a while but planning on picking up a new Abel TR or SDF instead now. Have an old green evolution LT that is rock solid and makes a really nice noise when paying out line and retrieving.

The spool movement is interesting as I have a Harfin that has the same 0.5mm or so movement but when I had the new Orvis mirage which is designed for the same job at a similar price it was rock solid. I sold the mirage due to it being a tad heavy but the Mirage LT they're bringing out might be a winner.

Highlander

QuoteThat looks brand new Alan

Aye it does, but it hails from the 80s. Having said that has not had a lot of use, I do look after my kit has something to do with that. Has minor paint loss on the rim which pictures do not show. A first class reel with a bullet proof drag.

Tight Lines

PS Like your Patagonia flies first class tyings.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page