News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Sea Trout "Coming Short"

Started by Wildfisher, July 31, 2017, 07:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

The numbers of sea trout / finnock  I am missing is driving me nuts. I know this seems to be a long established gripe of sea trout  fishers, the buggers seem to nip at the tail of the fly / streamer. I have seen solutions suggested by Falkus  like using a stinger hook, but I don't really want to do this as I return all my fish and don't want to use multiple hooks that might damage them more.

Any suggestions?  How do you handle this? What am I doing wrong?

rannoch raider

Sometimes in saltwater situations stripping the 'fly' very fast makes them hit it properly. Also, I've a mate who fishes lures for them and when they start the 'plucking' games he often ties  a length of two foot nylon to the bend of his hook and fishes a small fly . He often finds fish that are attracted to the spinner but are not committed to the take will hit the small trailing fly. I've never tried it with the fly rod but I intend to.

Part-time

Similar to Rannoch Raider, I think speeding up or even what I think could be described as a strip strike can sometimes work.
Fishing a sea loch a few years back I was having one of those days when the seatrout would follow and swirl at the fly a few times during the retrieve, at most just getting a wee pluck. I found that as soon as I had a swirl at the fly, rapidly speeding up the retrieve and sweeping the rod around at the same time resulted in hooking quite a few. I now try this anytime the seatrout are being a bit tricky - doesn't work all the time though :) 

seamab

Yes, if you don't want to use a stinger Fred,  p.l.f. :D.
If they're coming off after playing for a wee while, give a good strike after they take, to set hook. After all's said the mouths are softer in salt water and I've had a lot of seemingly "well hooked" fish drop off.

Wildfisher

Thanks for the tips guys I'll give it a go.  :D

Highlander

Tie the fly a bit shorter on the shank.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Laxdale

I suspect that at this time of year, the bigger sea trout will already be upriver.
If you are fishing for fish averaging less than 1lb, with a big one 2lb, stop fishing with bigger streamer type patterns. Use normal small sea trout patterns.
But with silver tied around the bend of the hook. 

Wildfisher

All good suggestions chaps.

What would be the best tactics for the salmon that will hopefully be arriving in these estuary waters in larger numbers later in the month?

Laxdale

Ebb tide and especially just before low water re the times to try for them. (In most places). Once you learn here they are holed up, fish for 5 minutes, then sit for 10 until such time as they switch on. Stoats Tail/Silver Stoat seem to be the menu of choice most places. And lots of backing.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Laxdale on August 02, 2017, 06:26:01 PM
And lots of backing.

Indeed. There is nothing runs quite like a salmon just off the tide.

Go To Front Page