News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Lewis May 2018

Started by arawa, October 17, 2017, 05:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arawa

After a year where fishing has been severely curtailed by a combination of poor weather and family illness/bereavement, I am looking ahead to next season. A friend and I are thinking of a fishing holiday on Lewis next May and wondered about staying at the Loch Erisort Inn. We both prefer bank fishing smallish lochs – and there seem to be plenty of them in this area!
Are we on the right track, or does anyone have a better suggestion? Many thanks.

Laxdale

You should do ok weather wise in the second half of May.
I cannot comment on the trout fishing down that way as my info is 25 years out of date (fished most of it though).
That is Jboys part of the world so I await his qualified input with interest!

johnny boy

How many days fishing are you looking at and are you looking for fairly steady sport or places where the bites may be fewer but the rewards greater?

arawa

Quote from: johnny boy on October 18, 2017, 02:49:19 PM
How many days fishing are you looking at and are you looking for fairly steady sport or places where the bites may be fewer but the rewards greater?
Probably about 4 days fishing, and to be honest going fishing is more important than catching fish! But the chance of something decent is always attractive.
My friend's knees are not in great shape so that limits us to about a max of 1 mile each way walks.
Thanks

johnny boy

Afraid I can not comment on the accommodation as I have never stayed there, maybe someone else may be able to comment on that for you.

You will however be well located with regards some decent options for fishing.

Along in South Lochs there is a nice wee string of lochs on the track out from Garyvard, the track will bring you to a string of lochs easily walked to on one day.  I like to take my car out to Loch Ghobhainn 360190 and fish this loch all the way round in a circle to Loch Tarbert350195, as you will see there are a few small lochs and you can decide how much ground you want to cover.  Probably not much over 1.25lb on the day but always a good day out.

Again in South Lochs but if you fancy a go at getting something bigger.  On the way back up the hill on way out of Glen Gravir (just past Gravir) there is a wee unnamed loch just over a hill unseen from the road that is well worth a visit.  The fish here are usually in really good nick, some small ones but I have taken a few over 2lb here.  OS map would place this around 367152.  If I go here I usually split my day in 2, fish here in the morning and stop off at Mor an Tanga on way home 375195, this is a stiff loch but when I really fancy a challenge I go there, both are easy 5-10 minute walks from the road.

Head North towards the Keose area, there are a few lochs here well worth a go.  Loch Ritheanan 355230, there is a track just inside the Keose track that takes you to the loch, dont bother with the walled off wee lochan that you first come to, all the way up the left hand side is easy fishing with a lovely drop off to fish, relly big hard to get fish in here.  Loch cnock dubh has picked up over last couple of years so may be worth a skip over to if Ruitheanan is kicking your ass.

Loch an Eilean Liath 340235 and Loch creige Fraoich can be fished in a circle, there are roads to both lochs so depending on wind direction you can plan your day based on wind direction. NB both have cages, not everybodies cup of tea but if travelling via Stornoway you can scout them on your way over as you pass both on the main road.

Were you planning travelling any further than that as there are plenty days avail on strings of lochs if you dont mind a 45-60 mins scenic drive? Drive and fish may suit your mate's knees better.

Also, have you considered splitting where you stay and covering more of the island, the Shawbost, carloway, Berenera and Bru areas can offer a good day out?

Think thats enough for tonight, sorry if above a little rambly

rannoch raider

Some pretty comprehensive advice the Johnny. Great to see such a willingness to share. Nice one  :8)

arawa

Not rambly at all johnny boy and many thanks indeed for sharing so much of your local knowledge. I am not too bothered about the standard of the hotel because it is the fishing we are going for, and just looking for a change from our usual spring trip to the Scourie areas. Not that there is anything at all wrong with the fishing around Scourie although we have not been lucky with the weather staying there in the past few years, but early/late Spring is a gamble anywhere in the NW.
Thanks also to Laxdale for his response.
If we make it there I shall report back. Thanks again for the information. Best wishes.

Laxdale

JM......when did you last try out the back of the police station in Balallan?

Wildfisher

Quote from: Laxdale on October 19, 2017, 06:01:02 PM
JM......when did you last try out the back of the police station in Balallan?

Is this a rite of passage for Lewis men?   :lol:

Laxdale

Quote from: admin on October 19, 2017, 06:03:55 PM
Is this a rite of passage for Lewis men?   :lol:

The trout fishing used to be good out there too.  :D :D

Go To Front Page