News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Orkney

Started by wild brownie, June 20, 2018, 01:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wild brownie

Hi we are heading over 2 orkney in a couple of days time for a weeks fishing. We will be fishing harray swannay and boardhouse. Has anybody fished over there lately and go advise on flys/lines etc.

Moggie

I was up there with my son as well!! I wish I had known you were there we could have had a get together. Not the best week we have had. I don't think I have seen the lochs so low. Our catch was well down on previous years and having to write off Thursday because of the wind didn't help. We were in the Merkister most nights for a pint so who knows we might have rubbed shoulders. Maybe next year.
Do it well, Do it once.

Moggie

Yes, I remember talking to you. My lad was in the co-op stocking up, well well it's a small world. We decided against going out on thursday in fact I don't think anyone would have given us a boat anyway and we didn't think about bank fishing you are a brave fellow!!   
It just shows you that we can meet a fellow member of the forum without knowing it. I bet it happens quite a lot. We should all have "Wild Fishing Forum" bunnets, that would do it.
Do it well, Do it once.

wild brownie

Are you back home now moir my dad (Sandy mcfadzean) thought it was this week you were in Orkney. Hopefully the winds will be better next week for our trip.

Moggie

Yes we got home last Saturday. I thought you guys had been up the week before us in fact I looked for you coming off the ferry at Scrabster. We obviously got our knickers in a twist about our dates. I've been on the phone to your Dad this morning and told him to get a copy of "Stan the Man's" booklet about fishing in orkney. It gives you the low down on all the lochs and tactics used, flies etc ideal for a first trip up there. I think you'll get it in Sinclairs tackle shop overlooking the harbour in Stromness. Hope you all have a good week and do your best to keep your Dad away from the Highland Park!!!
Do it well, Do it once.

Moggie

When I saw the picture of the badge I thought it looked familiar so I had a rake through my fishing bag and there it was, I now remember getting it from Fred so i'm going to get it sewn on to my bunnet.
Do it well, Do it once.

wild brownie

Back from orkney now fishing wasn't great plenty smaller fish on harray with odd 1s just over the 1lb Mark. Big high winds ment we couldn't leave merkister bay. Boardhouse was rubbish full of weed. And swannay was ok until the mist came down and we couldn't see 10ft in front of us so had 2 abandon it. Hopefully be better next yr if we decide 2 go back.

alba

Quote from: Element on June 24, 2018, 06:13:48 PM
[attachimg=1]

Us auld forum members have them.. might make a helpful idea though by principle if all members had one...  :D

E.

lol they are brilliant

Go To Front Page