News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

£1000 Trout rods

Started by Highlander, September 15, 2018, 11:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Wondered when we are going to see the first one? Or is there one out there already ?. Not bespoke made cane but production carbon from a mainstream maker.
Latest GCA catalogue dropped through the door & I can not help noticing prices creeping up not just for rods but just about everything. Are Sage, Hardy & Winston really worth £700-£800 quid or are we just being taken for mugs ?.
Comments please gents.
Tight lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on September 15, 2018, 11:49:26 PM
or are we just being taken for mugs ?.

Pretty much. I have a few Sage rods, they are great but not worth 1/2 of what they ask  for them. Mine cost a few hundred quid second hand.

sagecirca

This time next year I'd imagine.....

Already seeing waders that are around a 1000 quid. Mental!

bibio1

I never buy new. Either buy the blank and build or second hand. I have a few winstons now and they  we're much less than half price. Mind you buying blanks from the states is a nightmare now given brexit and the sterling crash.

Laxdale

A genralised observation, but has anyone else noticed that most of the purchasers of very expensive rods are unable to use them properly.  :D :D

Laxdale

Quote from: claretbumble on September 16, 2018, 01:36:43 PM
Are you specifically meaning *trout* rods, as I'm pretty sure there are fly rods out there that crack the £1000 barrier already McKenzie?

If people have money, manufacturers will find ways of parting them from it!

The latest "must have"salmon rods from Hardy are £1300!  :shock: :shock:

Lochan_load

If you're not in a hurry you can pick up "bargains" on eBay, hardly used or sometimes unused premium rods that people have bought and realised they don't fish  :lol: value is definitely in second hand stuff, I'd love a Winston but impossible to justify.

Bobfly

Last two rods ... One on ebay £100 ... One from GAC from their traded in secondhand list. Both in excellent "unused, as new" condition. Both used every week by Mrs Bobfly. Big names simply means big prices and the fashion industry approach has come to angling.
I once had a client who was a big manufacturer of jeans for many big names. "No pair I make costs more than £11 for me to supply and I see some being sold for over £175." Nuf said.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on September 16, 2018, 12:46:47 PM
I never buy new.

Me neither but my preferred supplier - Mark -seems to have gone q bit quiet.   :lol:

Wildfisher

Have to say that no other rod I have owned comes close  to my Sage ZXL #4,  9 foot for sheer joy of use. It is a delight to wield.

£650 when new, my copy cost £220 from Mark Rods, Carnwath.   It still had the shrink wrap on the cork. :lol:

Go To Front Page