News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

£1000 Trout rods

Started by Highlander, September 15, 2018, 11:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I think that if my ZXL ever gets broken or lost I'll give up fishing. I don't believe I'll ever find another rod that I like as much.

Not without speeding a £1000 anyway.   :lol:

Inchlaggan

Never spent more than £100 on a rod, still catch fish. I've tried expensive rods and discovered that I would have to learn to use them. My casting is bad enough without having to adjust my technique (ha ha) each time I take out a different rod.
Most of my fishing is from a boat with a £60 Daiwa. I do not need precision or tight loops, distance and decent presentation -yes- I can manage that.
My other interest is woodworking. There are plenty in that hobby who believe that spending thousands on tools will take them from a pile of wood to a Chippendale escritoire without any input on their part. In the same way that a £1000 rod is "bound" to place a fly on the chosen sixpence 100ft from the angler on its own!
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

bibio1

The worry in a £1000 rod is that they actually have people that buy them. Whilst I am sure they are better they will only be marginally so. Buy second hand or a blank and get it made up. It's a much better return for your hard earned.

Bobfly

I would be worried too about breaking any rod at that sort of price !!!!!  I hardly ever use my "best" rod got for a special birthday and not half that price.  :shock:
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Think I'll get out my cheap £650 Sage ZXL  and head down the river for an hour or two.

This retirement is feckin' murder isn't it.  :lol:

johnny boy

My most expensive rod was £300 and that was over 15 years ago, I couldn't see myself spending more than that again, to my mind there are plenty really good rods in the under £300 range.

What I would say is that some people spend tens of thousands on new cars every year or 2, for some its fancy holidays abroad 3 times a year, others won't leave their home without having designer brands all over their person.

If your wish is to spend your hard earned cash on an expensive rod then more power to you, do what makes you happy.

Robbie

Just because a rod is X time more expensive than an alternative surely it unreasonable to expect it to therefore be X time better. Common sense would assume that law of diminising returns applies.

arawa

Although a long time ago I can well remember from my economics degree the theory behind the law of diminishing returns. But I have still just ordered a Tom Morgan  :shock:  :roll:
I absolutely accept that it will be at best only marginally "better" than my existing rods but I just could not resist the craving. Heroin is surely less addictive than being a tackle tart!

Robbie

They do look a little special.

johnny boy

QuoteI have still just ordered a Tom Morgan

Owch, just googled his site, eye watering prices, I guess you must have tried one of his rods somewhere before splashing that amount of Wonga.

Go To Front Page