News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

very simple spey casting query

Started by corsican dave, October 21, 2018, 12:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

i'm having a play with a 15' spey rod i've had kicking around for a few years. the line i have is a skagit style with short, heavy head and running line. my simple question is this:

do i start the cast with the head just outside the tip ring ie with a couple of inches of running line outside, or do i start it with the back end of the head still inside the first foot or so of the rod?

so, basically, back end of head inside or outside tip?

i'm well aware there are incredibly complicated answers to this and i'm sure someone will tell me i need a different set-up and all the rest of it. but it's what i've got. ..... 
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Laxdale

Running line out the end of the rod. Vary the amount of running line until you get the rod loading to suit your casting style.
I seem to remember the word "hang" is used by the experts in this context.
There is no correct length of hang.
In fact, it will vary depending on the weight of tip on the end, fly weight/size, etc.

Bobfly

I have an Ally Gowan's general Spey casting types dvd from  a few years ago. Will post it up if you like.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

Quote from: Laxdale on October 21, 2018, 12:14:45 PM
Running line out the end of the rod. Vary the amount of running line until you get the rod loading to suit your casting style.
I seem to remember the word "hang" is used by the experts in this context.
There is no correct length of hang.
In fact, it will vary depending on the weight of tip on the end, fly weight/size, etc.
That's great! Thank you very much. I've been through all the obvious books and videos and not once can I find a reference to it or a photo. They all seem to be too keen to get on with the technicalities of anchors and d loops.... thanks again 😎
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page