News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly tying magnifier with light

Started by johnny boy, October 23, 2018, 10:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny boy

Time I accepted that I need some extra help seeing what I am tying. One concern I have is where the articulated arm will be, it seems to me that the best possible way would be for it to reach from behind and over the vice but never having used one I thought I would ask for some tips,, comments and suggestions of what to look for, cheers

Billy

I have one which stands in front of the vice. Not ideal and I would really have preferred if it came over the top.
If I was replacing it I would get one with a long articulated arm.

Billy

sagecirca

Maplin have a decent daylight lamp with magnifier for around 25 sheets that most people I know use. I bring the light in from my right side and given it has a long arm, it doesn't get in the way. 

claytonmcnie

johnny boy

QuoteI would really have preferred if it came over the top

Definitely one thing I was worried about, so how long is long enough to get up and over, how far do you generally keep the lamp/mag away from the jaws of the vice.

I was thinking a pedestal type with fully flexible arm rather than the type with fixed lengths of metal connected with springs, something like the Purelite Table Magnifying Lamp, would it reach far enough round is the question????

Inchlaggan

'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Bobfly

Look on Amazon for the long arm SOCOCO magnifier lamp. This has much the same long arms arrangement as an Anglepoise lamp so plenty long reach from a table edge screw clamp like a fly vice. About £33.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page