News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod building

Started by Lochan_load, November 20, 2018, 05:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Started on building my first rod the last few days, I'd bought the stuff a while back but justmamsged to get round to it over the weekend. Know there's a couple of others on the forum doing a rod so thought it might be handy to have a thread to share our experiences and videos/ tutorials / info we've found handy.
I want to make a wet fly rod so I went for a Harrison 10' 5wt blank. It's from their traditional range and came in at about hundred quid. I went for a full Wells handle and fighting butt and bought an agate stripper and snakes for guides. Also some epoxy for fitting the handle and reel seat and flex coat for finishing the wraps and give that shiny finish  :D

Lochan_load

So far I've fitted the reel seat, handle and fighting butt and put on the top eye. Had to figure in the top eye and fighting butt before I trimmed the sections to make them all equal and then "find the spine"

https://youtu.be/MSX1XoL9KDo

I'd never heard of finding the spine before I stumbled over the above YouTube video but it makes sense and is easy enough to do.

Lochan_load

Then I drilled out the handle and fighting butt to fit the 10mm blank, worked out the exact position of the real seat and built up the blank with masking tape so the reel seat sat snuggly. Gave the blank a wee rub over with 120 grit sandpaper for adhesion and then it was a case of mixing epoxy and fitting it all together. Pretty straight forward. Got some of the epoxy smudged on the blank but I think it's pretty hard not to!! Luckily the wife had some acetone for her nails and it cleaned up no problem  :8)

Lochan_load

Fitted over the winding check with a touch more epoxy and bobs your uncle the handle was done.
I've been watching videos on wrapping rings etc, this one seems good

https://youtu.be/bEYKa1G7Wz8

He has a whole series but I've only watched the first

Lochan_load

My efforts so far

[attachimg=1]

caorach

Looks like it is going well though it is something I've never tried myself. I've posted this link before but you might find it interesting just to browse for ideas as Dave built great rods and was a master at the craft. Dave is dead quite some time now so there's actually nothing for sale here but his wife keeps the page alive just as a sort of tribute:

http://www.davelewisflyrods.com/

Lochan_load

Quote from: caorach on November 20, 2018, 06:19:02 PM
Looks like it is going well

I've only done the easy bit  :shock:  :lol:
Excellent, thanks I'll have a look at that

johnny boy

Coming along nicely, keep us posted on progress, the spine video was new to me as well, I wonder if the spine thing is more distinct on poorer blanks or just the same on all blanks

Bobfly

Looking good Andy. Will it be ready for Xmas ... ?  :D
Floor has come up well too  :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Lochan_load

Not sure on that one, it was noticeable in the tip section but I couldn't really notice in the middle and didn't bother with the butt section  :worms

I'll put up bits as I get them done, would be good to get other folk pitching in, I know there's a few who've done their own and Robbie's got one to do. There's loads on YouTube but finding ones that are good quality is a job in itself.

Go To Front Page