News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod building

Started by Lochan_load, November 20, 2018, 05:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Quote from: Bobfly on November 20, 2018, 10:47:51 PM
Looking good Andy. Will it be ready for Xmas ... ?  :D
Floor has come up well too  :D

Probably done by then Vaughan, I've got the bug and I get a bit obsessive, Paul's lending me a rod wrapper so picking that up from him this week.
Cheers, it look long enough! I've got about a square metre to do in the dining room, knock that off tomorrow and then I'm free  :lol:

burnie

Never built a fly rod, made a few pike and carp rods in the past, you get a certain satisfaction catching on gear you've made yourself, even as a kid making floats from feathers.

Lochan_load

Looking forward to that stage burnie. Really enjoying sourcing everything and putting it together. Did my first wraps today in between the aforementioned floor  :roll: did these by hand with a bobbin holder just turning the blank in my hand, worked pretty well but don't know how it would go trying to whip on a guide/keeper. Picking up the wrapper tomorrow  :lol: can't wait and looking forward to getting the flex coat on.

Lochan_load

burnie

Looking good, a pal does sea fishing rods, mostly re ringing refurbs, have to admit my whipping wasn't always the tidiest of jobs, but nothing ever fell off. I have a pair of Shimano pike/carp rods that are going to need new rings as I have been using them on the beaches and the salts getting at them.

sagecirca

This time next year you'll be taking orders Andy  :8)

Lochan_load

There's still time for it to be a dogs dinner  :lol: not planning on it dave but it won't be my last, really enjoying it so far

Highlander

I would not have the whippings so close to the female blank end. I used to leave a wee bitty space to allow for the time that the joints wore & became a bit loose. That way you could take a wee smooth file or indeed a trim with a junior hacksaw to bring the gap down. They will wear after prolonged if it is a spigot blank.

Tight Lines (Looking good so far)

PS Guide Spacing from tip (Sage) (10ft rod) 4pce

150 298 460 609 768 960 1176 1413 1656 1908 2190

Guide size
1 1 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 12 16
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Robbie

Looking good Andy. I really need to pull my finger out, but not sure when I will be able to make a start yet.

Lochan_load

Just go for it robbie, the mrs will understand  :worried

Cheers Alan, looked at a few but I'm using that one you posted up, mines is a 3 section but that spacing works. Some of them have the eyes on the top section really tight, that ones more evenly spaced.

Go To Front Page