News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod building

Started by Lochan_load, November 20, 2018, 05:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Got the rod turner yesterday (cheers paul) went home and had a footer about with it, will be ideal for getting the flex coat on and dry, persevered with hand wrapping with a bobbin using my lamp/magnifier on my flytying desk and got the first four snakes done on the top section ( either side of a back shift and a baby  :shock: )  coming out well and I actually find t quite relaxing  :D

Lochan_load

Lochan_load

Robbie

Just came across this video on whipping guides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-SPw9LRA1U

Other advice I had read suggested pulling a longer tag through and cutting excess with a razor. then passing a lighter over to remove any stray fillaments. The video looks like it might be a neater method.

Highlander

Looks good, fine choice of thread  but one thing I might suggest is to file/emery paper down the snake ring ends in order that the whipping thread does not have a what shall we call it.... a bump or step down all be it small. Takes a bit longer but in the end it is easier & looks better. The ringing was always the longer/harder part I found. Take your time if you are not happy with it do it again. A Dremel type grind with extra fine conical stone would be good I reckon but I would try it out on a bit of waste first.

Tight Lines

PS never had U Tube video when I last made a rod, a great help today just trial & error for me then have made about six rods but only one has been carbon fibre rest glass oh & one split cane an old Sharpes Scottie that I re- ringed.
An electric thread winder would be a good investment if you were going to make some more. I was thinking how I might use my spool winder on my sewing machine. maybe some of the DIY guys on here would have an idea
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

sagecirca

Looking good there Andy.  What you using for a handle and reel seat?

Lochan_load

Hey robbie that's the way I've been doing them, think itd be pretty hard to get it neat the razor blade route. Cheers Alan I'll give that a bash, YouTube is amazing for stuff like this, you can watch all sorts of different info and cherry pick the bits you like/stuff that looks like it's do-able.
I bought the handle and real seat from taniwha rodworks, kiwi guy based in England. The cork is from a factory in Portugal that supplies epic, seems very good quality. He's not the cheapest but his stuff is nice. He also sells blanks at a reasonable price that are made in China in a factory set up by another ex epic employee but I didn't risk trying one  :gay4

Lochan_load

That's it closer up, I went for a really plain one but there's loads of options for styles and inserts
[attachimg=1]

sagecirca

Great stuff Andy.....looking forward to seeing your posts on its journey to completion. It's something I've always fancied getting round to.  That and building a boat! Time yet.....

sagecirca

Quote from: Lochan_load on November 23, 2018, 02:54:11 PM
That's it closer up, I went for a really plain one but there's loads of options for styles and inserts
[attachimg=1]

Very similar to a Sage ONE reel seat and handle.

Go To Front Page