News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Any of you tried this?

Started by Wildfisher, December 08, 2018, 02:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

I got to wondering what the saving might be. Costs of ingredients, cost of cooking, cost of drier and the drying costs, a bit of packaging and probably storing the meal in a freezer to ensure it keeps OK since maybe not vacuum sealed.  Bought dried hill meal packs have a five year shelf life. Plenty pasta mixes off the shelf in supermarkets too these days.  You get your own recipes and quantities but there is a lot of faffing about.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Fishtales

Do a search on the forum for Dehydrating, there is a couple of threads started by Bushy Palmer about doing it using a fan oven.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

caorach

Quote from: Bobfly on December 09, 2018, 12:24:30 AM
I got to wondering what the saving might be.

Yes, that is my problem with this. When I look at the cost of freeze dried it puts me off my food :-) Over the last while I've ordered some freeze dried from these folks as they had a sale, for example:

https://basecampfood.com/

However, when I consider what my lunch costs to make then on many occasions the freeze dried wouldn't be that much more expensive than making a similar lunch. Now, the other side to this is that the freeze dried stuff tends to be a bit more extravagant in the sense that I wouldn't usually have reindeer stew or even chicken tikka for lunch. On a day out it kind of takes a decent meal to fuel me through the day so I'm usually glad of something more substantial, and if I don't want something more substantial then I can take a sandwich and my freeze dried food will keep for ever lying in a box under my desk.

The other thing about the freeze dried stuff is that I keep a small selection lying about and so am ready to go whenever the chance presents - I'm working late tonight and have just decided that I'm heading out for a full day tomorrow. All I need to do in the morning is throw a pack of freeze dried in the rucksack and I'm away. I guess the convenience is worth something to me. You could say the same thing about stuff you do yourself but you are going to have to put a lot of prep in and you'll probably never come up with such an extensive menu - in the autumn I was out about 28 days and I'd guess I ate out on all of them but I didn't have the same thing on many days, and then usually through choice.

The other thing is that I don't always carry freeze dried food, sometimes I take other stuff, but because the freeze dry is so small and light in the pack it is possible to throw it in there as a backstop. A similar comment may also apply to stuff you dry yourself but if you fish or otherwise spend a lot of time out and about it really is worth having some freeze dry lying about for an emergency.

Ripple

I use a dehydrator, it's great if you are growing things.I have a large plot of land so I'm getting more than I need. It's good for herbs and vegetables, I can add them to my cooking, also dried fruit for cakes and dumplings. I dont think its worth buying if its just to take snacks when your going fishing.

Alastair

I thought I'd resurrect this thread.  I use my dehydrator a lot.  Mid-summer I'm drying cherries.  I do 80-100 lbs (before drying). Dried apple slices are next along with fruit leather.  Most of my fruit leather has an apple sauce as a thickener, but I mix in raspberries, strawberries and black currants.  Dried veggies for soups keep it humming in autumn, lots of tomatoes, carrots, onions and beans.  I hate eating raw tomatoes but dried slices are delicious. 

Alastair

My daughter came for a visit and about 5 pounds of dried cherries seem to have disappeared.  I need to find a better hiding place.

Bobfly

Excellent storage system if you have seasonal overproduction which is easily done. We don't have a dehydrator but the freezer gets stuffed with boxes of blackcurrents in particular which reappear for winter breakfast toppings most days.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page