News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Inexpensive walking boots

Started by arawa, January 26, 2019, 05:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arawa

Following on from caorach's "Inexpensive waterproof jackets" thread....

I recently started wearing a pair of new army surplus DMS high boots and according to my gps I have now worn them for over 100 miles (not all on the same day :shock:).
Right from the off they were very comfortable and I feel much more sure-footed in them than my usual Scarpas.  They are heavier than the Scarpas but I really don't notice this when wearing them.
I was given the boots but they seem available on ebay etc for £30-40 and it would be well worth a rummage in an army surplus store.

[attachimg=1]

I am also very pleased with a pair of Craghopper waterproof and breathable trousers (not over trousers) that have kept me dry and warm in some pretty wet and sleety weather. A bargain at £23 in Debenhams' sale but given their quality I would be happy to pay full price for them.

Tyro

When I left the Paras many many years ago I left with two pairs of DMS boots. I used these on many a Munro including quite challenging ground like the Cuillin Ridge. Sadly they have long since gone to the great bin in the Skye, pun intended. Sadly nowadays I doubt I could get up onto the ridge let alone complete it.
Len

SoldierPmr

I never really rated the DMS boots. I used to find them uncomfortable, cold and heavy considering how cold they were. For day to day camp life I used to wear the issues jungle boots. Pretty light breathable and mostly comfortable. The down side to the jungles they were not waterproof. My favourite issue boot were the Magnum desert boots. The only time I was uncomfortable in these boots was in Norway standing about for 4 hours at -22 watching a race. Considering they aren't designed for this I think they did really well. I think they go for around £30

Not really a budget boot so slightly off topic. The best military boot for roughing it over any ground is the lower super camps. I think I paid £140 11 years ago and I'm still using them now. They are a very heavy boot but incredibly warm, durable and water proof as long as you polish them.

arawa

Well, many apologies to board members. The high DMS boots I was so pleased with and recommended are now in the bin.  Both boots split all the way across and through the soles.
A real pity because they were excellent on snowy and icy tracks. I went back to my Scarpas today and on the same track I was slithering and sliding everywhere. I also missed the ankle support.

Bobfly

I have been told by medics that the strength of your ankle tendons and structures is more than any high boot is likely to provide. If you have a true ankle wrencher fall it will go anyway. What heavy high boots can do is limit the side angle of flexing and make walking on side slopes on hard snow or steep grass more awkward. Probably why there are almost no high model mountaineering boots to be found except those with dual tension lacing.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

arawa

Quote from: Bobfly on January 30, 2019, 07:08:26 PM
I have been told by medics that the strength of your ankle tendons and structures is more than any high boot is likely to provide. If you have a true ankle wrencher fall it will go anyway. What heavy high boots can do is limit the side angle of flexing and make walking on side slopes on hard snow or steep grass more awkward. Probably why there are almost no high model mountaineering boots to be found except those with dual tension lacing.
Thanks Bobfly. Interesting information. Some of my usual hikes to lochs do involve longish hikes along side slopes.
I will stick to my existing boots for this season. Next  :roll: :roll:

caorach

That is a bit of a bummer they didn't work out, maybe just a dodgy pair? Interesting about the high boots. I always wear ankle height walking boots rather than the high ones. I do have a pair of very high and very expensive ones and my view was they didn't give the same ankle support as any of the lower ones I've had. I've only once went over on an ankle and it was in a very remote spot. There is no doubt that on that day my scarpa sl boots saved me a btoken leg.

arawa

Completely disregarding the thread title, some advice given, and my previous comments.........

I was in Tain this morning and called into the excellent shooting and outdoor clothing shop – Macleods. They had over half a dozen different high walking boots on display including some monstrous ones from Meindl.

I thought one boot I picked up was a dummy because it was so light; the Le Chameau LCX. Apparently waterproof and breathable, it had a sole I have never seen before produced by Michelin Tyres and designed not to clog with mud. No idea if it actually works or is just a gimmick.

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

I was very tempted but managed to resist.

Terrier

I saw an advert for vision fishing, saying they've teamed up with michelin to produce new soles for wading boots!
So soles must be a new £££ maker michelin think
Maybe they could produce the soles in Dundee instead of laying off the 845 staff!

Bobfly

There are quite a lot of high cut hunting boots which I am questing are mostly European where springtime thaw conditions give rise to a melted topsoil but frozen still just below so cold and wet and muddy. They often shut all forest road access because any timber wagons buxxer up the roads big style.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page