News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Beginner to wild fishing

Started by tracks, March 31, 2019, 04:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracks

Hello,

I'm a beginner to this hobby. I am keen to hear suggestions in regards to what kit I need to start off with. So far, i've got nothing, so i'll need everything.
Also, any suggestions on a good area in the North east of Scotland that's good for a green wild fisherman? Cairngorms is where I hike and camp so i'd like to fish there too if possible

Thanks,
Ron

burnie

Something like this might start you off and if you really take to it, then you can look at more specific and more expensive later
http://www.angusangling.com/shop/airflo-fly-fishing-kit-river-and-stream--86-45_1765

SoldierPmr

I'll back up the air flo kit. I'll advice to change the floating line as it has terrible memory but it's a good rod for the money.

hopper

Hello, go in and speak to Neil at Angus Angling he will keep you right without ripping you off. The rod I use all the time now I got off ebay for about £35 might be worth a look so there are bargain's to be had out there.

caorach

Don't spend money on gear that you can spend on fishing! I started with an 11 foot Leeda and a Leeda reel and I'm still using the rod and have only recently retired the reel because the drag wore out. I bought myself another few Leeda rods, again 11 foot for 4 and 7 weight and they cost about £60 each. If I had the money for an expensive rod I'd stick with the rods I have and see if the boss would give me unpaid leave to go fishing. So my advice, having done this for nearly 40 years of this, is to spend as little as you can on gear and focus on getting out and fishing. The Leeda 11 foot 7 weight makes a great Loch rod and does for sea trout and salmon as well, I had a springer on it in 2017, so one rod does it all.

johnny boy

Not sure how your casting is but you may want to consider getting one lesson. Casting a fly rod can be tricky, so one lesson would be money we'll spent, alternatively, go out with someone who knows how to put out a line competately, no need to hit the horizon, you just want to be able to put out a line with minimum effort which hopefully will land lightly, happy fishing.

burnie

I think it is prudent to see if you like fishing before spending a lot of money(same in any hobby really), but I would not enjoy my hobbies using just older or cheaper products, you may find if you take to the sport that you need more than one rod for example. You could play a round of golf with one old club, but would you get much pleasure from doing so?

Go To Front Page