News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Good priced flylines

Started by arawa, July 05, 2019, 08:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arawa

I realise some members consider paying more than £10 for a fly line to be a wild extravagance  :D :D :D but the current Orvis sale has a decent selection of their lines at very good discounts. An additional 10% discount has been added to previous sale prices.
I am a great fan of the "superfine" reduced from £59 to £34 which works really well on my slower rods for dries.

sagecirca

How are Orvis lines these days?  I had a couple of their wonderlines when they first came out yonks ago and recall they were pretty bad.  Memory issues and a tendency to hover under the surface rather than float on top of it!

Sean Freeman

Thanks for the heads up. I have a few of the pro trout smooth lines, they're expensive at full price but when they do the £25 off it's not as bad. Orvis bought Scientific Anglers a few years ago so it's all the same tech and coatings etc.

rannoch raider

I've been using Orvis Hydros saltwater lines for a while now for saltwater and pike fishing. I can't fault them. Zero memory and very capable in what they claim to offer. They generally retail around the £70 plus mark but there are so many sales opportunities throughout the year that I've always been able to buy most of my Orvis gear a lot cheaper than full price.

burnie

I often go into the Orvis shop in Banchory and I rarely buy any fishing gear, it's more of a clothes shop these days, pity as what gear I have had was usually ok, I wanted to try on a pair of breathable chest waders a year or so ago, they hadn't got any in stock. I was told I could order them online, but I wanted to try them on to see if they fit and if I liked them, gave up.

arawa

Quote from: sagecirca on July 05, 2019, 10:43:49 PM
How are Orvis lines these days?  I had a couple of their wonderlines when they first came out yonks ago and recall they were pretty bad.  Memory issues and a tendency to hover under the surface rather than float on top of it!

I am very  happy with the current crop of Orvis/SA lines. At the sale prices I think they are at a very good price/performance point compared with any other maker.
At the top of the range I actually prefer the Scientific Anglers Amplitude line but I would not at all be surprised if someone told me it is exactly the same as the Orvis Pro!
Slightly annoying is a trend for many lines to be a half size heavy.

sagecirca

Quote from: arawa on July 07, 2019, 04:12:28 PM
Slightly annoying is a trend for many lines to be a half size heavy.

Aye I hear you.  Think the reason being is that rods are or were, getting faster and faster and they need a heavier line to fish properly rather than just stating the rod a line size higher.

nacnud

I can't see past Barrio lines, good value and they cast and fish well. I have slx, integrated Spey and switch.

Go To Front Page