News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Travel Rod

Started by johnny boy, February 09, 2020, 10:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arawa

Quote from: johnny boy on February 10, 2020, 11:09:51 PM
I had seen them as well, be interested to see if anyone has used one and what they think of them

On another forum (not as good as this one of course 😁) there is a long thread about Maxcatch products with most posters praising them. Some enthusiasts claim the items are identical to brands or direct copies. 

caorach

Quote from: johnny boy on February 10, 2020, 07:27:22 PM
Hi Philip, another one that says fast action, is that all anyone wants these days 🤔

I do think the 6 or 7 section versions will be better for my purposes, I already have a 4 piece rod but it's slightly too long for what I am looking for.

I've never cast any of the 6 section ones so really can't comment on the action - my 7 weight has a nice action that I would say is fairly soft. I have a 6 weight rod on a Sage blank that was marketed as being built softer for the UK market and I find it casts better for me with a 7 weight line so I generally like my rods pretty soft as well. The 4 weight version of the 11 foot Volare is very soft indeed as I think it was basically designed for river nymphing.

johnny boy

I should have elaborated on what I mean by long, it's the packed length rather than actual rod length.

That said I do like the thought of having a wee smuggler I can pack with a reel and a few files, you never know where such a thing can come in handy.

Sean Freeman

Hardy Smuggler in a 9' 5wt is what I use for most of my loch fishing. Absolutely love it, it's one of the best rods I've ever cast, in my experience anyway. I didn't pay retail but it was still around the £300 mark which obviously isn't cheap. I find the small tube handy when I'm fishing somewhere that involves a long hike and I also don't always do permission so I can go in under the radar with it concealed inside my backpack. :worried

arawa

If you are still looking Johnny, I have just had a GAC sale catalogue with the Agility travel rods reduced to £52. There is also a Volare at £40 but it is a #5.

johnny boy

Thanks, just placed the order

Go To Front Page