News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Too good to be true??

Started by arawa, October 30, 2020, 02:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill loch gold

Let us know how you get on with it. If everything is fine i will be making a few purchases from them  :shock:

arawa

The charge went through in US$ and to someone with a Western (American sounding) name and a Hotmail account.
I am starting to think this is just too good to be true after finding virtually every Hardy rod available for £82 and Amplitude fly lines for £30. But I find it hard to believe that anyone would put so much effort into a scam though; there would be no need for so many items.
Just have to wait for my delivery to find out the truth :D

Bobfly

Their server is in America but online Chinese sales are made in dollars so fingers crossed  .....
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

caorach

Just keep a close eye on your card, especially for a relatively small payment to something like Amazon that you might easily miss.

There seem to be a lot of these "very cheap" stores selling nearly everything on earth and i suspect that they populate them by somehow sucking down a real web site and then republishing that to give them content. I've no idea what the purpose is, perhaps it is simply to take payment and run or perhaps there is some other sort of scam going on. Perhaps they are actually selling stuff? I don't know.

arawa

Quote from: caorach on October 31, 2020, 07:26:06 PM
Just keep a close eye on your card, especially for a relatively small payment to something like Amazon that you might easily miss.

There seem to be a lot of these "very cheap" stores selling nearly everything on earth and i suspect that they populate them by somehow sucking down a real web site and then republishing that to give them content. I've no idea what the purpose is, perhaps it is simply to take payment and run or perhaps there is some other sort of scam going on. Perhaps they are actually selling stuff? I don't know.

Hello Phillip
I don't know either but it seemed worth a calculated risk to find out. On balance, I think their prices are just too good to be true. Also, the range of goods from Paramo through Hardy, Simms, Abel, plus much more is pretty incredible. No Sage that I have found.
I paid by Paypal so the site would not have my card details and I have deleted the payment method as a precaution. I have alerts set on my card and bank accounts. And I have all the anti-virus etc programs on my computer activated.

caorach

Quote from: arawa on October 31, 2020, 07:37:24 PM
Hello Phillip
I don't know either but it seemed worth a calculated risk to find out. On balance, I think their prices are just too good to be true. Also, the range of goods from Paramo through Hardy, Simms, Abel, plus much more is pretty incredible. No Sage that I have found.
I paid by Paypal so the site would not have my card details and I have deleted the payment method as a precaution. I have alerts set on my card and bank accounts. And I have all the anti-virus etc programs on my computer activated.

Sounds like you've covered your back pretty well, let's hope it works out and maybe it was worthwhile to give it a try in the interests of science :-)

Bobfly

There are fairly often complaints about PayPal support in disputes not being too good. Often related to a Chinese purchase, but many thousands must go through OK.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-Limitations/Circuos-Technology-Co-Ltd-Scam-seller-support-by-PayPal-s/td-p/2322794 :makefun
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Highlander

Sceptical me. I had a good look at this site & can not believe how cheap they are offering goods. A ABU four piece spinning rod new for £13 odd Hmmm The Long Firm Scam comes to mind.
To good to be true it may well be. I will take a rain cheque on this one.
Lets see how the others get on.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

arawa

Quote from: Highlander on November 01, 2020, 12:30:04 PM
Lets see how the others get on.
Tight Lines

That's my role :D
I'm taking one for the team :shock:

Its Me

Just had good look at the site, lots of big names in there from fishing gear, outdoor gear and sports clothing.
I just hope it comes out OK for you Arawa if it does I will be ordering a few items myself.
     Cheers
         A

Go To Front Page