News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Peter Anderson Death

Started by Wildfisher, September 23, 2021, 02:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I was told today that the once famous Scottish fly casting champion Peter Anderson had passed away.

I remember him well from the Milbro ads in the 1960s and early 70s when he was a casting champion. He was always pictured casting in his kilt.

I've searched the Scottish news today and oddly can't  find nothing about this.

However in the 70s he faded from public life after being caught up  in some shenanigans involving salmon poaching, as I recall,   after which I think Milbro dropped him.

Has anyone heard anything?

tomcatin

There is a post confirming this on the Glasgow Angling Centre facebook feed on Tuesday
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

Laxdale

Judging by the comments on the various salmon fishing pages and websites, PA was held in very high regard.

Wildfisher

He was, that's why it's surprising his passing does not seem to be mentioned in the Scottish media. When I was a lad he was a regular feature in Trout and Salmon, Rod and Line etc.

Highlander

Sad he was a joy to watch in my youth. I remember going to the Candleriggs in Glasgow to watch him.
Saw him casting with the top section only of a Trufly rod which prompted me to buy one sure Fred as one still.
Jesus they are heavy by today's standards but maybe we were made of sterner stuff in those days. Not just a fly rod he was a champion distance caster. His party piece at the shows was to land the cast on persons outstretched finger from about 30yds. He used  a yellow rubber casting ABU weight something I recently bought new off E Bay just for old times sake.

Did fall from grace in later life, think it was having unclean Tweed Salmon in his car boot but we shall leave it at that.

R.I.P.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

I've got 2 Trufly fly rods Alan, they were one of the better affordable rods back in the 60s. I remember well the P.A. ads for those and other Milbro tackle in T&S and Rod and Line. If you can remember R&L you are OLD  :lol:

I shot a video with one of the Trufly rods this year. Never again!   :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFMgV4pJypE

Highlander

QuoteIf you can remember R&L you are OLD 
Remember them........I have three bound volumes from Issue one, Volume  One too  Volume Three all complete  & would you believe there are Milbro full page adverts featuring Peter Anderson complete with kilt.
Ebay £20 some years back, bargain. I would expect an announcement in Trout & Salmon in due course
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Peter was a fabulous caster. We don't get a lot of world class champions in Scotland, but he was certainly one. I remember these big ads with him in his kilt!  :lol:

Go To Front Page