News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Algae

Started by smackinnon, October 02, 2021, 11:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smackinnon

[attachimg=3]
I have fished a reservoir just outside Edinburgh for over 15 years and this year we have experienced a massive algal bloom for the first time. The algae reaches from the bottom of the loch right up to the surface and covers everything in its path. I know these images are not the best but any advice on cause or prevention.
only dead fish go with the flow.

Wildfisher

Does it stink? It looks like some kind of sewage pollution.

arawa

Had it last year in a hill loch I fish. No sewage or any form of human intervention there. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, very low water and hot weather had caused it. It has not reappeared this year.

smackinnon

No i don't recall it being smelly, We are high up in the Pentland hills so not sure where a source of sewage would come from. The algae is much greener that it looks in the photos.

Wildfisher

It was the colour that worried me, it may turn brown as it dies off as the water cools down.

roberth

I've noticed this on a few lochs this year. I assumed it was down to the extended dry period we've had.

Wildfisher

Extended dry weather can often reduce algae as there is less nutrient run off from surrounding fields. It depends on the loch I guess.

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

smackinnon

its odd that "arawa" mentioned low water as the reservoir was manually drawn down several feet at the start of year for some work to be carried out.
This reduction in water level has happened before but never resulted in the bloom we seem to have just now.

Wildfisher

Go To Front Page