News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Algae

Started by smackinnon, October 02, 2021, 11:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arawa

Quote from: smackinnon on October 02, 2021, 01:03:41 PM
its odd that "arawa" mentioned low water as the reservoir was manually drawn down several feet at the start of year for some work to be carried out.
This reduction in water level has happened before but never resulted in the bloom we seem to have just now.

I thought the low water might be relevant (to my loch) because it left large areas of very shallow water that in the hot weather became very warm indeed.

Wildfisher

Our two local lochs, Rescobie and Balgavies,  (and various swamp ponds we fished when we were kids)  have a real algae problem and even worse Canadian Pond weed. Back in the day there was none of that weed, where the hell did tat come from? Keptie Pond in Arbroath gets choked with it too.

Wildfisher

Quote from: arawa on October 02, 2021, 01:43:16 PM
I thought the low water might be relevant (to my loch) because it left large areas of very shallow water that in the hot weather became very warm indeed.

It's just weird. After a very dry summer in 2003 Rescobie Loch was gin clear in October  when we fished it. I could see the bottom out in the middle, never seen that before and had not realised how shallow it was. There were masses of huge freshwater mussels in clear view.

smackinnon

Nice one Sandy, well found.
Just another example of the benefit of such forums, the wealth on information and knowledge is amazing.
only dead fish go with the flow.

Go To Front Page