News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Anglers Killed All The Salmon?

Started by Wildfisher, October 15, 2021, 09:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

There was an interesting article in this months FF&FT or was it T&S? Can't remember.

The hypotheses was that only some salmon are genetically predisposed to occasional feeding in fresh water, these are the fish anglers catch and until relatively recently they were all killed.

Result - these fish don't breed, the taking trait is not passed on and there are fewer and fewer catchable salmon in our rivers.

Is this fact or fiction?

burnie

Sounds like Horlix to me, I have never killed a Salmon, but talking to someone who has a large fish smoker and has processed a lot of Salmon and Sea trout, he told me he often found food in the stomachs of Sea Trout, but never in a Salmon.

arawa

The article is in this month's FF&FT.
Some years ago I read a similar article arguing this was the reason there were (apparently) fewer free-rising trout taking dries.

Wildfisher

The guy openly admits it's just a theory with no peer reviewed  evidence.

Good one for some post grad. fisheries scientist doing a PhD?

Bobfly

There is completely undeniable logic to this theory. It explains why it is that big fat trout that are really hard to catch got that big by not eating. Also, average sized trout eat a lot but do not get big and are easily caught. These smaller ones get put back to then eat lots more, but still do not grow.  :roll: :roll:
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

But the counter argument is no one is denying salmon eat, they all eat in the sea whereas trout can only eat in fresh water - unless of course they are sea trout.  :lol:

Bobfly

Clearly, big fat uncatchable trout are sustained by magic water. Catchable smaller trout do not live in magic water.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Hoolet

Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

Wildfisher

Quote from: Hoolet on October 15, 2021, 07:18:07 PM
Sorry but....
I'm not so sure George. It was in FF&FT so it's hard to believe it could be wrong.   :lol:

emc

Compulsory C&R. Be a long study though! A lifetimes work.

Go To Front Page