News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Advise Required: Bruce and Walker Powerlite Trout

Started by murray1228, October 24, 2006, 10:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murray1228

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a new rod for next season. I currently fish with a Greys Platinum 9'6" #7 which is a great rod for the bank on a windy day but for calmer conditions and when fishing from a boat i'd like something a little less powerful.

I suppose I could just play safe and get the Greys in a 10' #6 version but that would be a bit boring! The 10' #6 Bruce and Walker Powerlite has caught my eye but I wonder if anyone can help me with the following questions:

1. Is it a true #6? I'm looking for something that will throw a DT6, WF6.
2. What sort of action do these rods have? Middle to tip?
3. Are they capable bank rods, i.e will they respond to a bit of double hauling to cast a longer line, in windy conditions? (within reason!)

Please feel free to tell me if there are better rods out there that will satisfy the above requirements!

Look forward to hearing any advice.

Cheers Murray

Wildfisher

Allan Liddle is the man to ask. He uses these BW rods. They are nice although perhaps a tad overpriced. Allan is on holiday right now, but should be back soon.

murray1228

Cheers Fred,

They are a bit pricey, however,  I use a B&W salmon rod which is excellent and have often wondered what the trout rods would be like.
Also I quite like the idea of buying a british manufactured rod.

Murray

Pearly Invicta

I use a B & W Powerlite #7 DT. It's rated for a DT but I use a #7 WF line on it and it casts very well. It has quickly become my number one rod because its so versatile. Its the only rod I own which can cast a WF 8 Orvis wonderline.

They do seem to be a bit pricey but I bought mine from Gows of Dundee at the end of the season a few years ago for about 120 quid.

murray1228

Hi Pearly,

120 Quid was a bit of a bargain! :D I reckon I could get one for about ?200 which, while expensive, isn't anywhere near the likes of Hardy and Sage prices.

You say the rods are rated on a DT rather than a WF which is interesting. I mainly fish DTs because I like to do a bit of roll and spey casting when tight for space. So I think thats a plus point!

Does you rod have an extension but? Did it come with a rod tube?

Thanks for your help!

Malcolm

A couple of things. First if you can try the rod yourself before buying it's much better. Line rating is a very personal thing and not very scientific. I usually end up using a line 1 or sometimes 2 ratings below that on the rod. This has little to do with ability. It's personal preference.

As to rods. It's worthwhile checking out Steve Partons website
http://www.spartonfly.dial.pipex.com/
His own rods are built mostly on British Harrison blanks and are around ?160-180 but he also has cheaper rods built on imported blanks (not necessarily a bad thing as a lot of manufacturers use imported blanks - Greys, Redington etc). I have 2 of his own make rods at the opposite ends of the scale: a  7 #3/4 and a 10 #11-13 both are very good indeed.

Also keep an eye on EBAY for BLOKE rods - they are frequently sold direct from the manufacturer. I bought a fine 9ft for #8 (I use a #7 - see what I mean!) for ?127 last year and while these rods cosmetics are not up to top manufacturers they are fantastic value for money from EBAY and their performance is excellent.

Best Regards
Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Clan Ford

I've a Bruce and Walker 11' 3" #6 Powerlite (bought cheap on eBay).  It's obviously for boat work and I find it a delight to use, the DT 6 weight rating is spot on, when using a barrio line.  The blurb also claimed it would handle a WF 7 line but I didn't find that it was as nice as the DT 6 - all felt a bit "clunky" with the WF 7.  I do my sea trout fishing and some still water stuff with a greys 9' 6", #7, Platinum X.  The B&W rod has a softer action, sometimes I wish the greys did too!

rabbitangler

You should be able to have a cast when Allan comes back. I've got some powerlights too through the same source. Up until last year I used a 9' #5 for nearly all my fishing and thought it was a great rod, still do. It even landed a 10lb salmon on a grayling bug from the tummel. If your stuck & we can find a way you can have a chuck with these.

Peter

Pearly Invicta

Quote from: murray1228 on October 24, 2006, 11:32:29 AM

Does you rod have an extension but? Did it come with a rod tube?

It was a bargain! It didn't come with a tube but Sandy Forgan gave me a Greys tube to keep it in. It is a really lovely rod.

murray1228

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Judging from the replies the rod should be up to the job of extracting a trout or two! :D

Go To Front Page