News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Scaling Down

Started by Andrew Moray, November 22, 2006, 06:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Moray

Hello All,

I use a 10' #7 when boat/bank fishing for rainbows, and a #5 for the river.

I plan to spend more time doing rivers and hill lochs next season going for brownies, and I notice that quite a few members use 5 weights.

Would you recommend scaling down the 7 weight when I'm going to be fishing for wild fish ?.

I like the longer rod on the boat, better for my boat partner  :oops:, and the 7 weight forgives my inexperience, as well as being suitable for the variety of sinking lines needed for Menteith etc going for rainbows.
Would a lighter line weight @ 10' be OK ?

I assume I can leave the 8lb mono in the house ?  :)

TIA,
Anthony

haresear

You'll get loads of different answers from that post Andrew.

I meet lots of guys who fish a lot heavier than I do, so maybe I'm fishing at the light end of the spectrum (no pun intended)....

In my opinion a #5 rod will do everything, bar chuck really heavy flies. If you need a heavier line to do that, you can use a #6 on the same rod. You will still get a decent scrap from your fish.
That's not to say a #5 is all I use. I use a #4 and also a #6 rated rod, but if I was looking for something lighter than a #7, for use from the boat, I would go for the #5.

Alex
Protect the edge.

nant_fisher

I have a five weight that i use for everything at the moment (mainly because i cant a afford another rod). Wild brownies put up a great scrap on it and when you do get a bigger fish its extremely fun, ive had 8lb escapee rainbows on my wee rod and its managed, they fair put up a fair scrap on a wee rod.

Cheers

Robbie
Adventure time

Wildfisher

For an all-round rod I recommend a  #5. As Alex says though, casting heavy flies can be a problem. It's not about catching more fish with lighter gear – you probably won't  - it's about adding to your enjoyment and using a lighter  rod is much more enjoyable (to me anyway). When I pick up one of my old #7s now it really feels like a barge pole. Gear tends to follow fashion trends. Even 5  years ago it  was all 7 weights and weight forward lines – no doubt an effect of fishing for big stockies. A few years ago getting a long light rod was not easy and  they were mainly in the higher price brackets. Every tackle manufacturer and his dog has them now

Andrew Moray

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.
I've managed to arrange a wee go of a Bloke 10' for 5 later this month, my #7 is a Bloke.
If this wind keeps up, it'll need to be in a gym though.

r.e. lines.
I have a floater, inter and sink tip for my river setup.
Is the full armoury of slow, fast etc etc required/recommended fishing for wild fish ?.
I won't be offended by the replies, I really don't know  :oops:

Thanks,
Anthony

haresear

Andrew,

90% of the time I'll be using a floater on the loch. An intermediate can be useful too.
There are times when I have done well on a faster sinking line from a boat, but as most of my fishing is done from the bank, the fast sinker is not used much.
If you are boat fishing, it could save the day for you to shove one in the bag, especially early season.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Andrew Moray

Thanks again for all the replies, very helpful.

On the river, I use my floater most of the time too, but switch to the cortland blue inter when I want to fish wets just underneath.

r.e. faster sinker.
Something as quick as a di-5 ?, to get down before the boat overtakes the line in a "breeze"

Enjoy the weekend,
Anthony

haresear

Andrew,

You are probably on the wrong forum (or maybe we auld yins are just too dyed in the wool) to ask about line densities.

From your posts so far it is obvious that you are a thinker rather than a blind follower.

Your line of thinking is just what is needed for us dumplings.

Back to your point....

If  your fishing is primarily done from boats, then it makes sense to:

a) control the speed of the drift
b) use a line which allows you to fish at the depth and speed which you need.

As you indicated, you don't want to overtake the sunk line.

You have obviously worked this oot for yourself.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page