News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

hill loch fishing

Started by ray, May 10, 2007, 10:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray

Hi i?m new to this forum
Started fishing when I was a lad with my father on the river tweed 10 years old and very happy catching wee trout stopped at 15 and chased the girls and drank a lot
Three years ago I decided to take it up again and fished all my local fisheries for rainbows
But not much of a challenge I am going up to Plockton 1st June to do some hill loch fishing
I am looking for advice on flies etc (will I have to get different flies from those I use for rainbows)
Thanks
Ray

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

shanksi

Quote from: fishtales on May 10, 2007, 10:49:51 PM
Have a look in the fly database.

http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/flydatabase/index.php

Type % into the search field.

Thanks for that Sandy saves me having to type in name of each fly. :)

shanksi

ray

Thanks for all your help lads I will restock my fly box
With recommended flies size 12 and 14
Will let you know how I get on
Thanks ray

sandyborthwick

Hi Ray, I saw a couple of nice lochs near plockton about two years ago and next to the road - never fished (SWMBO had other ideas) but I'm sure the locals in plockton will give a few pointers(Loch Aichidh na h-Inich and Loch Lundie) looked very fishy. There are some good looking hill lochs behind and through the pass at Bealach Mor and I've always fancied the walk on the tracks from Duncraig through the pass and back down past the Lochs to Achmore. The Lochs are called Loch nan Gillean, Loch na Leitire, and Lochan Dubha - there's a couple of small ones beside. Don't know if anyone has fished them here but it looks like an excellent days walking and fishing - maybe some one on the site can pass comment.

Hope you get some tight lines and would be interested if you do try these lochs to see a post on your results.

Welcome to the site and best of Luck.

Sandy B.O. 

haresear

Ray,

Although I love Plockton, I've not fished around there.

About flies. In a wave and when fishing traditional  pulling syle, I don't worry too much about patterns. I just use something brown(or grey, or green, gold, or reddish) and something black. Always something black.

I've never seen the point in adding tags/ribs/throat hackles of various colours and I still catch my share.

When the wind drops, I would firstly get some insect repellant on and secondly, go more imitative with wee dries like shuttlecocks or CDC F flies. Greased up leader and small buzzers works too, but you will have to strike the fish as they generally don't have the weight or power to hook themselves, like a rainbow would.

Once upon a time I met the secretary of the Rutland Flyfishers up in Sutherland. I had had around 60 fish for a hard day's fishing. He had 4 or 6 or something. He had been getting loads of takes on dries but wasn't striking, expecting the line to tighten into a fish. I met him the next day too and he was doing much better by hitting the fish quickly. Just something to think about.

Good luck.

Alex

Protect the edge.

muddler54

hi ray  if your in the plockton area theres a couple of great pike lochs  ask some locals ive only pike fished in that area. theres also some great sea fishing off the rocks, fly fishing for pollack is great sport  muddler54

Go To Front Page