News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Klinkie problem

Started by Hans, June 16, 2007, 01:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans

Many people discover it's a problem to get Klinkies sit correctly on the surface.
This is usually caused by the fact, that the wing is too big/long.
When I tie my klinkies, the length of the hackle-fibres is always longer than the wing.
9 out of 10 times the fly will sit on the surface in the correct manner.
Another common mistake is grease: remember to greasethe wing and the hackle only. If the body of the fly is greased it will tend to float as well, thus forcing the fly to foat on it's side.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Hans.

.D.

Another couple of related issues:

There can be a tendency, when using a second fly attached to the bend
for the trailing section of leader to hold up the back end of the Klink, forcing the fly onto its side. You can have to degrease it rather too often. Using a dropper instead obviates the problem.

Using natural furs for the body - roughly dubbed furs with a heavy guard hair component can act as a faux palmered hackle, impeding penetration of the film. This seems an especial problem in smaller sizes where it is more difficuly to apply floatant selectively, and it wicks into the dubbing.

Cheers,

.D.

haresear

QuoteUsing natural furs for the body - roughly dubbed furs with a heavy guard hair component can act as a faux palmered hackle, impeding penetration of the film. This seems an especial problem in smaller sizes where it is more difficuly to apply floatant selectively, and it wicks into the dubbing.

D, you are right on that point. Hans Von Klinken stipulates a very slim abdomen to slice through the surface film. Actually, I don't know if that is why he uses a slim abdomen, but it stands to reason that a slim abdomen will sink easier than a fat spiky one.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on June 16, 2007, 10:05:02 PM
.......it stands to reason that a slim abdomen will sink easier than a fat spiky one.

Not so sure about that one Alex.  Bandy Catcher (the person not the fly) has a fat abdomen with a' the beer he drinks and he sank  like a stone when he fell in the Don.  :biglaugh;

Hans

D, you are right on that point. Hans Von Klinken stipulates a very slim abdomen to slice through the surface film. Actually, I don't know if that is why he uses a slim abdomen, but it stands to reason that a slim abdomen will sink easier than a fat spiky one.

Alex
[/quote]

If I tie my own small klinkies, I give them no body at all. It's the way it floats, and the way the fly breaks the surface that decides if the fly will catch or not;
So a small klinkie with just a wing, a hackle and a thorax will always float correctly.
Hans

.D.

Quote from: Hans on June 16, 2007, 11:30:43 PM

If I tie my own small klinkies, I give them no body at all. It's the way it floats, and the way the fly breaks the surface that decides if the fly will catch or not;
So a small klinkie with just a wing, a hackle and a thorax will always float correctly.
Hans

Hello Hans,
With the "abdomen" naked?  :o

.D.

haresear

QuoteIf I tie my own small klinkies, I give them no body at all. It's the way it floats, and the way the fly breaks the surface that decides if the fly will catch or not;

That is an interesting idea Hans, especially for very small flies. Why bother with a body?

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on June 17, 2007, 02:54:56 AM
That is an interesting idea Hans, especially for very small flies. Why bother with a body?

is the body not a trigger on emerger type flies like Klinks?

Hans

Just talking about smaller ones, so 20 and down. See picture.
Sorry bout the quality, could not get it right, but it gives an idea.
This is one from my own box. It will always sit correctly.
Cheers, Hans.

nant_fisher

The hook itself will look like a body when it is underwater. It's so small down at that size anyway the fish probably wouldn't notice if there was nothing on the body.

Cheers

Robbie
Adventure time

Go To Front Page