News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Stuck rod joints

Started by The General, August 18, 2007, 12:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The General

The middle section of my Greys has broken again on casting.   But this time the top section has stuck like glue to the
middle section.  Any tips or hints on how to disengage these two.   

Davie

V-4

I think we've had this type of problem before on here!

I still have a very old 3 piece coarse rod that suffers with the same problem now and again. This rod is fitted with brass ferrules between sections. If I remember then I'll put WD40 or some vaseline on from time to time.

However if it does get stuck then if I hold a match or cigarette lighter underneath the joint then there's generally enough expansion to allow them to release.

This may not work with carbon fibre though! I don't think it takes kindly to a naked flame. You could try pouring hot water on it though, that should cause some expansion, enough to seperate the two.

Good luck.
Regards, Tim

haresear

Harelug suffered from this problem once too. He showed me a way that worked for him.

It involves putting the rod behind your back and squatting like a weightlifter with the rod behind your knees. Take hold of each section and pull ( I think he used a rod bag to grip the sections). I can't remember the thory behind it, but it might work in your case.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on August 18, 2007, 02:13:00 PM
It involves putting the rod behind your back and squatting like a weightlifter

They say that squatting like  a Sumo wrester works better with Japanese rods  :D

alancrob

If you can unscrew the but section push a cane or similar up inside the rod. Careful not to use anything with sharp incase you weaken the rod.
Alan

haresear

QuoteNearly Alex; rod behind your knees and hold it with your hands on the outside of your knees.  Open your legs and it pushes your hands (and the rod sections) apart.
I think it was Pearly that came up with that one.

That must be it. Thanks Steve.

Alex
Protect the edge.

The General

Do I still have to squat like a sumo wrestler  :P

Davie
(Shame the video camera is away furra service)

harelug

QuoteNearly Alex; rod behind your knees and hold it with your hands on the outside of your knees.  Open your legs and it pushes your hands (and the rod sections) apart.

I've known this trick for years, Don't use a rod bag to grip the rod as Alex suggested in an earlier post, make sure both the rod and your hands are dry. If hands still tend to slip try  using a bit or rubber sheet, eg. inner tube to grip the rod sections.
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

.D.

Quote from: harelug on August 18, 2007, 08:43:23 PM

I've known this trick for years, Don't use a rod bag to grip the rod as Alex suggested in an earlier post, make sure both the rod and your hands are dry. If hands still tend to slip try  using a bit or rubber sheet, eg. inner tube to grip the rod sections.

Latex gloves :wink:

Mmmm... Latex gloves......

.D.

The General

It's now fixed thanks.   Not by the sumo method or the hot water, both tried but to no avail.  Ultimately it was the cross hand technique.  I will try and explain  :shock:
Instead of two people pulling away from each other, you take hold of the section furthest away from you and you push apart rather than pull apart.  It came away first time tho it might have been the sumo and hot water helping.
Again thank you even tho the post started to degenerate  -D-   :P

Davie

Go To Front Page