News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Advice Needed On Grey?s Rod

Started by Wildfisher, February 08, 2005, 09:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Sportsmail had a few good rod bargains in this months T+S

For example, Daiwa whiskers for 45 quid.

What caught my eye though was a 91/2 foot  5 weight Grey?s Platinum X for about ?115 or so. I believe this is one of the top rods in the Grey range. I am sure I read a bit by Stan Headley about these rods some time ago and he was praising them.

Anyone have any comments / advice on that particular stick?

Wildfisher

Quote from: unclebooIt's a good fast actioned rod, but I've already aired my views on $12 Chinese rods :D In my view the Daiwa is a more honest price and I much prefer the action.

I take your point! Hamish (shielfisher) once pointed  me to a web article  by  an ex rod company designer /   employee. According to him, Sage and Loomis rods costing  500 quid  and more were produced, total cost of about  $30 in  far east sweat shops..

On that basis they can stick them up their arse, preferably  side ways.   :giruy;  

PS the "get it right up ye" icon is for them not you  :lol:

Wildfisher

Hamish / Mike,

On your recommendation, I just ordered one of these 10? Vision #5 weight -   3 piece,  from FMTC though my site.    :wink:  With the cumulative discounts it is under ?100. Looking forward to getting it, also ordered  a couple of lines from  Sports mail ? both #5 ? a DT floater and a WTF intermediate ? Shakespeare  ?Professional?. Got the same lines for my lads years ago  and for the money (less that a tenner each ? although ?16  each if bought locally  :cry: )  they are really brilliant for the money and better than some lines at 3 times the price I have used. These lines will be going onto my old traditional   ?Intrepid  Rimfly? and its spare spool. I have had it for 30 years and frankly it?s as good as any of the fancy reels I have used since. Back to basics. Just wish I still had  my old ?Condex? ? god knows what happened to it!

Wildfisher

Quote from: shielfisherGood for you Fred - quicker off the mark than me anyway :!:  I've still to order my Vision - but new neoprenes must come first...... :roll:
I promise you'll like the Vision - it's a cracking rod.

Hamish, remember the FMTC has them. If your order it though my link  or  through Mike?s you will get 10% off. Definitely worth it.

Spruce

In answer to your question:I have got the exact model & I think it is a great little rod, I would not describe it as having a fast tip action, it's more "forgiving" than that & I can use 3lb fluorocarbon or double strength tippets without breaking off on takes. in mho it's a cracking allround rod.

Go To Front Page