News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Sea trout rods....

Started by andrew, December 05, 2007, 07:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew

Appreciate a bit of advice here please. In your opinion, what is the best all round rod for sea trout fishing (river, loch, some salt). I am looking at length, action and line weight (or make and model). Thanks 
All the best,
Andy.   :)

Traditionalist

Probably quite impossible to say which is the "best", as too much depends on personal preference and casting skill, but my own preference is for a fast action 9?6"  #7 weight. ( This is one of my own rods).  I find that this is extremely versatile when coupled with the right lines. I carry a range of heads which match the rod.

If I were buying a commercially produced rod for this, I would be looking at TCR?s or similar. ( Or cheaper fast action rods).  There are occasions, in freshwater when a slower actioned rod is better, as you may lose more fish with a fast action.

Purely for river fishing I would go with a medium to slow action.  For distance, and normal shooting head casting, slower rods are a problem. For Scandinavian style underhand head casting a medium action rod is easier to handle than a fast one.

All rather depends on how you want to fish, not just where.

TL
MC

Malcolm

Andrew,

I'm not an expert but I spend a lot of time sea trout - fishing several evenings a week during the latter half of the summer. I agree with Mike's comments about knowing what you're going for where and how.

The one rod is difficult if you want to, say: fish big sunk lures on a big river, fish small flies on a low spate river or dibble flies traditional style on a boat. If I had just one rod I would use my 9.5 ft for 6/7. However probably most seatrout fishers would go for something a little longer. The original 10 foot Orvis Western (not the new Orvis Western 2) is very sought after as an all-round sea trout rod. They sometimes come up on the second hand market but fetch good prices. 

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Clan Ford

Andrew,

I also use a 9'6" 7 weight (Greys Platinum X) for my seatrouting - all on the rivers.  Its a nice versatile rod capable of handling a grilse but not so over gunned that you loose all the feel with smaller fish.  It can handle the bigger flies and a sunk line at push.  Its probably the best compromise rod - if I wanted to just fish a floating line and smaller flies I'd step down to a 5 or 6 weight as the sea trout I fish for are generally not too big but if I was doing a lot of sunk line work I plump for an 8 weight just to handle the lines and flies.

Norm

andrew

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.
All the best,
Andy.  :)

sfinn

Hi in Connamara, for sea trout the norm is a 10'6" 7#, My favourite has always been Hardy. However i have just ordered a David Norwich 10'6" 7# for next year looking forward to it.

The reason for the length it give greater control when dapping/skimming the files. And also it an all rounder also for salmon.

regards

Sean

nant_fisher

I do all my fishing with an 8ft 6  5 weight and i've had fish up to 8lbs on it no bother, not sea trout mind you just scabby escapee rainbows but i reckon the most important thing would be a good reel with a good drag.
Adventure time

Highlander

Not familiar with the actions on the more modern rods but one thing I will say is that reservoir casting tool does not make a good Sea Trout rod despite what some experts say. They are far too unforving, all right for rattling stocked Rainbows. Sorry about the rattling term but was  I heard some anglers using on my last "stocked rainbow foray" . Sea Trout & especialy when they first enter fresh water have relatively soft mouth & these fast actioned tippy rods just do not cut the mustad.
I have & still use an old Diawa WF98 10ft & find it perfect for tidal Sea Trout.
Tight lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

sandyborthwick

I'd go with Highlander on this one a 10' Diawa 8/9wt has been my rod of choice for Seatrout in and around the estuary. Its action is slow enough to avoid pulling the hook but the rod is heavy enough to put out the heavy line you will find useful fishing in the Salt/Brackish water. Remember Salt water is markedly heavier than Fresh and this affects the sinking/floating qualities of your lines. I tend to avoid floating line all together as the waves give less contact with the fly for estuarine seatrout. Also Heavy lines work far better with the larger flies you will encounter. As far as freshwater Seatrouting is concerned a few minor adjustments to your normal trout set up and gear and you should be fine without another rod.

Sandy B.O.

Salmonoid

Well!!!!

Sea - Trout one of my favourite species to entice!
I would suggest a Greys Platinum XD, Due to the soft action! Its lightness is almost unbelievable. A 10ft 7/8 single handed rod is ideal for the job!
I have had great pleasure playing and landing many fish on this "magicians wand!

:D :D :D :D :D

Go To Front Page